Finding combinations in an urn model

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of getting specific sets of {r, b} pairs when removing two balls at a time from an urn with R red balls and B blue balls. The first question asks for the probability of getting a set with two {r, b} pairs, while the second question asks for the probability of getting a set with at least one {r, b} pair. The formulas for these probabilities are provided and are dependent on the total number of balls in the urn (N).
hashi
Hi, this is my first post on this forum, i hope you can help. I seem to have confused my self with the following problem.

Given an urn with R red balls and B blue balls and R+B = N, and N is always even. You remove the two balls at a time from the urn until it is empty - the without replacement case.

Therefore,
a) what is the probability of some i (r, b) pairs. for example, given R=4 and B=8, what probability of the set containing 2 {r, b} pairs, i.e {r, b}, {r, b}, {r, ,r}, {b,b}, {b,b}, {b,b}

b) what is the probability of each set that contains at least one {r,b} pair.

thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The probability of getting a set containing two {r, b} pairs is:P = (R/N) * (B/N-1) * (R/N-2) * (B/N-3)For the second question, the probability of getting a set containing at least one {r,b} pair is:P = 1 - [ (R/N) * (R/N-1) + (B/N) * (B/N-1) ]

Related to Finding combinations in an urn model

What is an urn model?

An urn model is a mathematical model used to represent the process of randomly selecting objects from a container (urn) without replacement. It is commonly used in probability and statistics to analyze the outcomes of experiments or events.

What are combinations in an urn model?

Combinations in an urn model refer to the different ways in which a set of objects can be selected from an urn without taking into account their order. In other words, the order in which the objects are selected does not matter, only the specific objects that are chosen.

How do you calculate the number of combinations in an urn model?

The number of combinations in an urn model can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / r!(n-r)!, where n is the total number of objects in the urn and r is the number of objects being selected. This formula is also known as the combination formula.

What is the difference between combinations and permutations in an urn model?

Combinations and permutations are both ways of selecting objects from an urn, but they differ in terms of the order in which the objects are selected. Combinations do not take into account the order, whereas permutations do. In other words, the number of combinations is usually smaller than the number of permutations for the same set of objects.

How can an urn model be applied in real-life situations?

An urn model can be applied in various real-life situations, such as predicting the outcome of a random drawing or lottery, estimating the probability of certain events occurring, or analyzing the results of scientific experiments. It can also be used in fields such as genetics, finance, and sports to make informed decisions based on probability and statistics.