Finding collected count when given average value.

In summary, the speaker is in need of a quick answer on how to plot a graph using a table with time and activity data. They are also confused about how to determine the collected count and the significance of half-life in relation to background count. The speaker also mentions an average value for background count of 30 and a question regarding its accuracy.
Hellreignz
Good morning everyone, I would really be pleased with a quick answer because I am very soon going to school. I have been asked to plot a graph, for that I am given a table with time in minutes from 0 to 6 on the first row. On the second row I was given activity in counts per minute with values 495,395,320,258,220,180,140 (they are ranged in columns below corresponding time). Then the third row is a blank row asking me collected count (in counts per minute) and I just don't know how to get it. I have been given average value of the background count which is 30 counts per minute. There is also a question asking to a certain that average value of background count is 30. I just don't know what to do please help me. :nb)

Physics news on Phys.org
And please why is half-life meaningless to background count?

I think that by "collected" they mean all the counts up to that time.
If you had 495 counts in the first minute and 395 in the second, you had 495+395 after the first 2 minutes.

I don't understand what are you saying in the last three sentences.

Related to Finding collected count when given average value.

1. How do I find the collected count when given the average value?

To find the collected count, you can use the formula: Collected Count = Average Value * Number of Measurements. This formula assumes that the measurements are evenly distributed around the average value.

2. What if my measurements are not evenly distributed around the average value?

In this case, you can use the formula: Collected Count = Total Sum of Measurements / Average Value. This formula takes into account the actual values of each measurement, rather than assuming an even distribution.

3. Can I use the median value instead of the average value?

No, the median value cannot be used to find the collected count. The median represents the middle value in a data set, while the average represents the sum of all values divided by the number of values. These are two different measures of central tendency and cannot be used interchangeably.

4. Is it necessary to have the average value and number of measurements to find the collected count?

Yes, both the average value and number of measurements are essential to finding the collected count. Without these two pieces of information, it is not possible to accurately determine the collected count.

5. Can I use this method for any type of data?

Yes, this method can be used for any type of data as long as the measurements are numerical. It is important to ensure that the units of measurement are consistent and to use the appropriate formula depending on the distribution of the data.