Finding Coefficient of Restitution for 2D Collision

In summary, the collision between particles A and B results in an inelastic collision with a coefficient of restitution of zero.
bobred
Linear momentum 2d collision

Homework Statement

Two particles A and B of mass [tex]m[/tex] and [tex]3m[/tex] respectively, A collides with B. Find the coefficient of restitution [tex]e[/tex] if [tex]\textbf{v}_{A}[/tex] is purely in the [tex]\textbf{j}[/tex]-direction.

Velocity of each particle before collision.
[tex]\dot{\textbf{r}}_{A}=9 \textbf{i}+5\textbf{j}[/tex]
[tex]\dot{\textbf{r}}_{B}=2 \textbf{i}+2\textbf{j}[/tex]

The x and y velocity components before collision
[tex]\dot{x}_{A}[/tex], [tex]\dot{y}_{A}[/tex], [tex]\dot{x}_{B}[/tex] and [tex]\dot{y}_{B}[/tex]

The x and y velocity components after collision
[tex]\dot{X}_{A}[/tex], [tex]\dot{Y}_{A}[/tex], [tex]\dot{X}_{B}[/tex] and [tex]\dot{Y}_{B}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The common tangent is the [tex]\textbf{j}[/tex] axis.

[tex]\dot{y}_{A}\textbf{j}=\dot{Y}_{A}\textbf{j}[/tex] and [tex]\dot{y}_{B}\textbf{j}=\dot{Y}_{B}\textbf{j}[/tex]

[tex](\dot{X}_{A}-\dot{X}_{B})\textbf{i}=-e(\dot{x}_{A}-\dot{x}_{B})\textbf{i}[/tex]

[tex]m\dot{\textbf{r}}=m\textbf{v}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

With the values above I find the velocities after collision

[tex]\textbf{v}_{A}=(-\frac{21}{4}e+\frac{15}{4})\textbf{i}+5\textbf{j}[/tex]
[tex]\textbf{v}_{B}=(\frac{7}{4}e+\frac{15}{4})\textbf{i}+2\textbf{j}[/tex]

How do I find [tex]e[/tex] if [tex]\textbf{v}_{A}[/tex] is purely in the [tex]\textbf{j}[/tex]-direction?

If I use(which is in the i-direction)

[tex](\dot{X}_{A}-\dot{X}_{B})=-e(\dot{x}_{A}-\dot{x}_{B})[/tex]

I get [tex]e=0[/tex], a totally inelastic collision.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think is the correct expression for the coefficient of restitution when you have a collision in 2-d? How did you conclude that the y-component of each particle's momentum is the same before and after the collision? Finally, what is a "common tangent" and why is it the y-axis?

Hi

The common tangent is the plane perpendicular to the common normal plane. We are told the common normal is in the i-direction. In the course text we are told

'In an (instantaneous) collision between two smooth non-rotating objects, where the area of contact at the moment of impact lies on a common tangent plane, the velocities parallel to the tangent plane remain unchanged before and after impact.'

Thanks

bobred said:
Hi

The common tangent is the plane perpendicular to the common normal plane. We are told the common normal is in the i-direction. In the course text we are told

'In an (instantaneous) collision between two smooth non-rotating objects, where the area of contact at the moment of impact lies on a common tangent plane, the velocities parallel to the tangent plane remain unchanged before and after impact.'

Thanks
OK, then, the coefficient of restitution is given by

[tex]e=\left| \frac{\dot{X_A}-\dot{X}_B}{\dot{x_A}-\dot{x}_B} \right| [/tex]
You know both terms in the denominator and it is given that

[tex]\dot{X}_A=0[/tex]

Use momentum conservation in the x-direction to find the remaining term.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, in explaining to you the coordinate system it got me thinking again and obviously there is no [tex]\dot{X}_A[/tex] so obviously I need to solve

[tex]
(\dot{X}_{A}-\dot{X}_{B})=-e(\dot{x}_{A}-\dot{x}_{B})
[/tex]

for e

Thanks

I hope you can finish from this point.

Yes, all done, thanks again

Related to Finding Coefficient of Restitution for 2D Collision

What is the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution (COR) is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of the final velocity of objects after a collision to the initial velocity. It is a measure of the elasticity of the collision, with a value of 1 representing a perfectly elastic collision and a value of 0 representing a perfectly inelastic collision.

How is the coefficient of restitution calculated?

The coefficient of restitution can be calculated by dividing the relative velocity of the objects after the collision by the relative velocity before the collision. This can be represented by the equation COR = (Vf2 - Vf1) / (Vi1 - Vi2), where Vf is the final velocity and Vi is the initial velocity of each object.

What factors affect the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution is affected by several factors, including the materials and surface properties of the objects involved, the angle and speed of the collision, and any external forces acting on the objects during the collision. In general, objects with higher elasticity and smoother surfaces will have a higher coefficient of restitution.

How is the coefficient of restitution measured in a 2D collision?

In a 2D collision, the coefficient of restitution can be measured by analyzing the motion of the objects before and after the collision. This can be done using video analysis or by measuring the velocities of the objects with sensors. The measured velocities can then be used to calculate the COR using the equation mentioned earlier.

Why is the coefficient of restitution important in collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is important in collisions because it helps us understand the amount of energy lost or conserved during the collision. In real-world scenarios, objects rarely have perfectly elastic or inelastic collisions, and the COR can be used to predict the resulting velocities and trajectories of the objects. It is also an important factor in designing and testing materials and structures for impact and collision scenarios.