Finding coefficient of kinetic friction on a track with a spring.

In summary, the problem involves a 10 kg block sliding down a track with a frictionless slope, hitting a spring of force constant 2250 N/m and compressing it 0.3 m from its equilibrium position before coming to rest. The task is to determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between the track and the block, with additional information of a 3 meter height difference and completely horizontal points. Using the conservation of total energy law and the definition of work done by friction, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated as 0.327.
lykwedontcare
1. The problem statement

A 10 kg block is released from point A on a track ABCD. The track is frictionless except for the portion BC, of length 6 m. The block travels down the track and hits a spring of force constant k = 2250 N/m and compresses it a distance of 0.3 m from its equilibrium position before coming to rest momentarily. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between the track portion BC and the block.

***ADDITIONAL INFO

The height is 3 meters from the slope from A>B, while points B>C>D are completely horizontal.

The Attempt at a Solution

PE = KE

I find at point B the velocity of the block is 7.67 m/s. However I'm unable to figure out the next step.

I started with using KE = PE (spring) and found a difference of about 192 N, which I'm not sure has anything to do with the problem (the difference of the block slowing down?) but am not sure.

I do know the answer is 0.327, so I'm not after an answer, I simply just want to know how to do the problem.

Any direction would be appreciated, the more the better,
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
lykwedontcare said:
1. The problem statement

A 10 kg block is released from point A on a track ABCD. The track is frictionless except for the portion BC, of length 6 m. The block travels down the track and hits a spring of force constant k = 2250 N/m and compresses it a distance of 0.3 m from its equilibrium position before coming to rest momentarily. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between the track portion BC and the block.

***ADDITIONAL INFO

The height is 3 meters from the slope from A>B, while points B>C>D are completely horizontal.

The Attempt at a Solution

PE = KE

I find at point B the velocity of the block is 7.67 m/s. However I'm unable to figure out the next step.
That value is correct, although this step is unnecessary.
I started with using KE = PE (spring) and found a difference of about 192 N, which I'm not sure has anything to do with the problem (the difference of the block slowing down?) but am not sure.
If there is a difference between the KE at point B and the PE at point D, then KE at B does not equal the PE at point D. As you note, 192 J (not N) of energy was 'lost' due to work done by friction. Use the definition of this Work to find the friction force and then the friction coefficient.

Note that you can take the start point at A and the end point at D, and get the same answer using the conservation of total energy law.

Also note that (KE + PE)initial = (KE + PE)final, only when conservative forces that do work (such as gravity and springs) are acting. When non-conservative forces (like friction) are acting, energy is transferred out of (or into) the system, due to the work done by such non-conservative forces.

Related to Finding coefficient of kinetic friction on a track with a spring.

1. What is the purpose of finding the coefficient of kinetic friction on a track with a spring?

The purpose of finding the coefficient of kinetic friction is to understand the amount of friction between two surfaces in motion. In this case, the track and the object on the track with a spring.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated on a track with a spring?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. The force of friction can be found by subtracting the spring force from the applied force. The normal force is equal to the weight of the object.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of kinetic friction on a track with a spring?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the speed of the object on the track. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity.

4. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction measured on a track with a spring?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be measured by conducting experiments with different masses and velocities on the track with a spring. By measuring the forces and using the formula mentioned in question 2, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the coefficient of kinetic friction on a track with a spring?

Finding the coefficient of kinetic friction can be useful in designing and improving machinery and equipment that involves sliding or rolling on surfaces, such as brakes in vehicles or conveyor belts in factories. It can also be used in sports equipment and designing amusement park rides to ensure safety and efficiency.