Finding Charge p.u.l. Along Infinitely Long Cylinder

In summary, the problem involves finding the charge per unit length of a charged, infinitely long cylinder with a given volume charge density. To solve this, one must integrate the volume charge density over the length of the cylinder and take into account the cylindrical shell sections. This can be done using either cylindrical or rectangular coordinates, but it is important to consider the units of charge when calculating. The final solution involves finding the volume of a cylindrical shell and multiplying it by the thickness to get the charge per unit length.
EngnrMatt

Homework Statement

An infinitely long cylinder of radius a in free space is charged with a volume charge density ρ(r) = ρ0*(a-r)/a (0 ≤ r ≤ a), where ρ0 is a constant and r the radial distance from the cylindrical axis. Find the charge per unit length of the cylinder.

Homework Equations

Qpul = Qalong l/l

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to integrate in cylindrical coordinates, however, it has been a while since I have done so. The limits of integration should be 0 to a. The equation for ρ0 is being integrated. But I thought there was something you're supposed to do when integrating in cylindrical. Or maybe it would actually be better in rectangular? Though I doubt that.

Physics news on Phys.org
harge per unit length = charge inside volume of unit length.

So you want to find the total charge in a unit length of the cylinder.
What is the charge in a cylindrical shell section of the unit length cylinder between radii r and r+dr?

ρ*dr I think?

EngnrMatt said:
ρ*dr I think?

that can't be right since ρ has units of QL-3 so ρ*dr would have units of QL-3L2 including the fact that we assume unit length. But we need units of Q.

To find the volume of a cylindrical shell, subtract a slightly larger shell volume from a slightly smaller volume. Make the outer radius r + dr and the inner radius r, then subtract and drop any terms of order dr2.

Or, take the area of the shell and multiply by the thickness dr.

Likes 1 person
I actually figured it out on my own finally. Thanks for your time though.

Related to Finding Charge p.u.l. Along Infinitely Long Cylinder

1. What is "Finding Charge p.u.l. Along Infinitely Long Cylinder"?

"Finding Charge p.u.l. Along Infinitely Long Cylinder" is a mathematical concept used in physics to determine the amount of charge per unit length (p.u.l.) along an infinitely long cylinder. This calculation is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and currents in cylindrical systems.

2. How is the charge per unit length calculated along an infinitely long cylinder?

The charge per unit length along an infinitely long cylinder is calculated by taking the total charge on the cylinder and dividing it by the length of the cylinder. This calculation assumes that the charge is evenly distributed along the length of the cylinder.

3. What is the significance of finding charge p.u.l. along an infinitely long cylinder?

Knowing the charge per unit length along an infinitely long cylinder is important in understanding the electric field and current distribution in cylindrical systems, which are commonly used in electrical engineering and physics. This calculation can also be used to determine the total charge of a cylinder when the charge per unit length and length of the cylinder are known.

4. What are some real-world applications of finding charge p.u.l. along an infinitely long cylinder?

One common application is in the design and analysis of transmission lines, which are used to transmit electricity over long distances. The charge per unit length along the transmission line is an important factor in determining its capacity and efficiency. This concept is also used in studying the behavior of charged particles in cylindrical systems, such as in particle accelerators.

5. Is the charge per unit length always constant along an infinitely long cylinder?

No, the charge per unit length may vary along the length of an infinitely long cylinder if the charge distribution is not uniform. However, in most cases, the charge is assumed to be evenly distributed, resulting in a constant charge per unit length. This simplification is often used in theoretical calculations and can provide a good approximation in many practical applications.