How Do You Get Around? Which Is Your Most Common Mode?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary: NoIn summary, transportation is an important part of life. For some people, transportation includes biking, walking, and driving.

How do YOU get around?

• Bicycle

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Walking

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Public Transportation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Car

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What is your most common mode of transportation?

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm a bike man, myself. though i do a bit of walking here and there. i'd suppose that's only becuase I'm not old enough to drive. (but as chance would have it, today is my first day of driver's ed., so maybe-in about six monthes-i can drive)

I bike here and there and everywhere. Even if I could afford a car, I wouldn't want one. They make you lazy and are unnecessary drains on resources.

I walk most of the time. Drive a car if the distance is too great. Hope to get a bicycle this year, if I can save up the $.

i have a 1996 VW GTI that takes me all over washington and oregon...

Currently, I walk to the bus stop and take the bus to the subway and then I take the subway to the train. Yeah... Germany sucks like that.

eNtRopY

No Entropy, that is the beauty of it. I used to get on my bicycle (15 min) get on the train (40 min) get on the subway (15 min) and walk (10 min).. that sounds annoying but everything is so well organized that there is no time wasted from one stop to the other.

You know that 30% of people in the netherlands use their bicycle as a mode of transportation? While in some countries Canada, the States it is only 1% :S http://www.ibike.org/statistics.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats German effeciency for you, i drive to most places now that i have passed my driving test, but i used to cycle into college everyday until i had passed now it is more convenient for me to drive so that i can take my sister to and from school.

Originally posted by Monique
No Entropy, that is the beauty of it.

Yeah well you're not the one who had to ride six blocks next to some fat Italian dude who stunk like a Frenchman.

I know, I know... stereotypes... Of course I'm only joking around, Frenchman don't stink anymore than ordinary Italians.

eNtRopY

1. How do you determine the most common mode of transportation?

The most common mode of transportation is determined by collecting data on the number of people using each mode of transportation, such as cars, public transportation, walking, biking, etc. This data is then compared and the mode with the highest number of users is considered the most common.

2. What factors contribute to people choosing a specific mode of transportation?

There are several factors that can influence someone's choice of transportation, such as convenience, cost, distance, time, and personal preference. Other factors may include availability of transportation options, weather conditions, and accessibility.

3. Is the most common mode of transportation the most sustainable option?

Not necessarily. While the most common mode of transportation may have a lower carbon footprint compared to other modes, it may still contribute to air pollution and traffic congestion. Sustainable transportation options include walking, biking, and using public transportation.

4. How does urbanization affect the most common mode of transportation?

As cities become more densely populated, there is often an increase in the use of public transportation and a decrease in personal vehicle usage. This is due to factors such as limited parking, traffic congestion, and the convenience of public transportation in urban areas.

5. Can the most common mode of transportation vary between different regions or countries?

Yes, the most common mode of transportation can vary greatly between regions and countries. Factors such as infrastructure, cultural norms, and economic development can all influence the preferred mode of transportation in a particular area.