Finding center of mass of three disks

In summary, the problem involves finding the location of the center of mass of a system consisting of three disks made of sheet metal, with diameters of 1.2m, 2.4m, and 3.6m, and the x-axis has its origin at the left-most point of the left-most disk. The center of mass is determined by calculating the sum of the mass of each disk multiplied by its distance from the origin, divided by the total mass of the system. The mass of each disk is proportional to the square of its diameter, and the disks are arranged in a line with no overlap. For part B, the same procedure is applied using three solid spheres instead of disks.
CaptainOfSmug

Homework Statement

All three disks are made of sheet metal of the same material, and the diameters are 1.2m ,2.4m , and3.6m . Assume that the x-axis has its origin at the left-most point of the left-most object and it points to the right.
A)
Determine the location of the center of mass of the system

B)
Repeat the calculation for three solid spheres all made of the same metal and having the same diameters as in part A.[/B]

Homework Equations

cm=m1r1+m2r2...etc /m1+m2...etc

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know this is most likely a very simple problem but using my formulas I'm given doesn't seem to work for me, so I know I am setting up this wrong. I guess I need help with the whole concept of center of mass, just from assumption I know the center of mass will be between 2.4cm and 3.6cm and I know the diameters are all increasing by 1.2cm, however when I plug and chug my formula I realized all I'm doing is taking the average which cannot be true for this (I'm assuming). So I'm guessing I'm having trouble with the reference frames and figuring out the inertial values...

I'm not looking for a handout answer but I do need to understand this concept, thanks in advance!
Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
We really can't comment on what you're doing wrong unless you post your calculations.

Well I'm at a loss of how to even begin my calculations, I'm having trouble with how to approach the problem, my book isn't doing very well on this topic for me and my professor is essentially a proctor for tests, I tried khan academy with little luck. Should I be setting up three reference frames then each in accordance of each disk? I have no idea how to find the inertia of each disk so I assumed I just leave them as m1,m2, and m3 but I'm assuming there mass increases proportionally to their size since they are the same material, and each disk increases diameter by 1.2cm. So for the relevant equation I gave I assume the denominator will be 6m, but I'm having trouble with the numerator.

EDIT:
So here's what I've come if so far but I'm not sure if it's right:
center of mass= m1x1+2m2x2+3m3x3 /6m
=2.8cm. This answer seems somewhat reasonable, but my intuition tells me it should be larger

Last edited:
Your problem statement mentions nothing of the location of the objects apart from the left most one. Is this the problem exactly as stated?

What is the mass of a solid disk? Where are the disk centers located?

Likes Chrismartin33
CaptainOfSmug said:
Well I'm at a loss of how to even begin my calculations, I'm having trouble with how to approach the problem, my book isn't doing very well on this topic for me and my professor is essentially a proctor for tests, I tried khan academy with little luck. Should I be setting up three reference frames then each in accordance of each disk? I have no idea how to find the inertia of each disk so I assumed I just leave them as m1,m2, and m3 but I'm assuming there mass increases proportionally to their size since they are the same material, and each disk increases diameter by 1.2cm. So for the relevant equation I gave I assume the denominator will be 6m, but I'm having trouble with the numerator.

EDIT:
So here's what I've come if so far but I'm not sure if it's right:
center of mass= m1x1+2m2x2+3m3x3 /6m
=2.8cm. This answer seems somewhat reasonable, but my intuition tells me it should be larger

I think I can see one problem right off the bat. The disks are supposed to have diameters which increase in the progression 1.2 m, 2.4 m, and 3.6 m, yet in your formula for the center of the mass, you are assuming that if the mass of the smallest disk is m, then the mass of the next larger disk is 2m, and the mass of the largest disk is 3m. This is incorrect.

Since the OP states that all three disks are made of sheet metal and are the same material, it would then be reasonable to assume that all three disks have the same thickness. This implies that the mass of each disk varies as the volume of metal in the disk, which, since each disk has the same thickness, also implies that the mass of each disk is proportional to the area of the disk. Since the area of the disk is in turn proportional to the square of the diameter, then the mass of each disk does not increase as the ratio of the diameters, but as the ratio of the square of the diameters.

The OP seems to imply that each disk is laid down in a line, with the smaller disk touching, but not overlapping, the next larger disk located to its right.

A simple sketch should be made showing three disks laid out thus: oO∅. Using this sketch, one can then determine where the center of mass of each disk is in relation to the origin, which the OP states is located at the leftmost point of the leftmost disk. Once the proper mass relationship and the location of the center of each disk is determined, then you may apply the formula to determine the center of mass of the three disks.

For part B of the problem, rinse and repeat the procedure above, except instead of disks, use spheres instead. (Hint: there will be a different relationship between each mass in the case of spheres as opposed to disks made out of sheet metal.)

Related to Finding center of mass of three disks

1. What is the center of mass of three disks?

The center of mass of three disks is the point at which the disks can be balanced without tipping over. It is the point where the total mass of the disks is evenly distributed.

2. How do you find the center of mass of three disks?

To find the center of mass of three disks, you need to first locate the individual centers of mass of each disk. Then, you can use the formula for calculating the center of mass of a system of objects, which involves taking the weighted average of the individual centers of mass.

3. What factors affect the center of mass of three disks?

The center of mass of three disks is affected by the mass and distribution of each individual disk. The shape and size of the disks can also play a role in determining the center of mass.

4. Why is it important to find the center of mass of three disks?

Finding the center of mass of three disks is important in understanding the stability and balance of the system. It can also be used in various engineering and physics applications, such as designing structures or predicting the movement of objects.

5. Can the center of mass of three disks be outside of the disks?

Yes, the center of mass of three disks can be outside of the disks. This can happen if the disks have uneven mass distribution or if they are arranged in a way that creates an imbalance. However, in most cases, the center of mass will be located within the boundaries of the disks.