Finding Center of Mass and Velocity of Three Moving Balls

In summary, the three balls are moving along a straight line with Mass A moving at 8 m/s to the left with mass 2.00 kg, Mass B moving at 6.00 m/s to the right with mass 3.00 kg, and Mass C moving at 2.00 m/s to the right with mass 4.00 kg. The center of mass of this system is located at 7 m and has a velocity of 4.67 m/s. The equation used to find the position and velocity of the center of mass is Xcm= mAxA+mBxB+mCxC/ mA+mB+mC and Vcm= mAvA+mBvB+mCvC/ mA
Gisellebarr
Three Balls are moving along a straight line having the instantaneous positions shown in figure 8.15. At that instant, find the location and velocity of the center of mass of this system.

Figure 8.15

Mass A---------------------Mass B-----------------------------------Mass C

Mass A is moving at 8 m/s to the left with mass 2.00 kg

Mass B is moving at 6.00 m/s to the right with mass 3.00 kg

Mass C is moving at 2.00 m/s to the right with mass 4.00 kg

Mass A is 5.00 m from Mass B

Mass B is 7.00 m from Mass C

As simple as this problem is I don't even know where to start! The only thing I understand from the problem is conservation of momentum but I don't know how to apply it to this situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a conservation of momentum situation. What is the equation that gives the position of the center of mass of any number of masses? Look it up in your textbook.

Okay I rechecked the book and tried to work out a similar problem

I set the location of each mass on the x-axis with Mass A at 0, Mass B at 5 in the +x direction and Mass C at 12 in the + x direction

I applied that Xcm= mAxA+mBxB+mCxC/ mA+mB+mC= 7 m

To find the location of the center of Mass

Then

Vcm= mAvA+mBvB+mCvC/ mA+mB+mC= 4.67 m/s

To find the velocity of the center of mass.

Is this correct?

The position of the center of mass is correct, but the its velocity is not. Your equation is correct, but you plugged in the wrong numbers. Remember: If something moving to the right has positive velocity, something moving to the left has negative velocity.

Oh! That makes sense! Thanks :)

Related to Finding Center of Mass and Velocity of Three Moving Balls

1. What is the Help Center of Mass Velocity?

The Help Center of Mass Velocity is a resource for understanding the concept of center of mass velocity and its applications in physics and engineering.

2. How is center of mass velocity calculated?

Center of mass velocity is calculated by dividing the total momentum of a system by its total mass. It can also be calculated by taking the derivative of the position of the center of mass with respect to time.

3. What is the significance of center of mass velocity?

The center of mass velocity is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand the overall motion of a system. It is also a useful tool in analyzing collisions and determining the resulting velocities of objects involved.

4. Can the center of mass velocity of a system change?

Yes, the center of mass velocity of a system can change if there is an external force acting on the system or if there is a redistribution of mass within the system. In a closed system, however, the total momentum and center of mass velocity will remain constant.

5. How is center of mass velocity different from average velocity?

While average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement of an object by the total time taken, center of mass velocity takes into account the total momentum and mass of a system. Center of mass velocity is a more comprehensive measure of the overall motion of a system, while average velocity only considers the motion of a single object.