Finding block flight distance (work/energy/projectile motion)

In summary, the block sails through the air for 5.41m after traveling up an incline with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.210.
Gotejjeken

Homework Statement

knight_Figure_11_72.jpg

The spring in the figure has a spring constant of 1100 N/m. It is compressed 14.0 cm, then launches a 200 g block. The horizontal surface is frictionless, but the block's coefficient of kinetic friction on the incline is 0.210.

What distance d does the block sail through the air?

Homework Equations

Work of spring:

W(spring) = 1/2*k*s^2

Work of Friction + Gravity as block slides up incline:

W(friction) = -u*k*n*s = -u*k*Wx*s = -u*k*m*g*cos(theta) * s
W(gravity) = Wy * s = m * g * s * sin(theta)

Work-Energy Theorem

W(net) = (delta)K = Kf - Ki

Projectile Motion Kinematics:

Vfy = Viy - g * t
Xf = Xi + Vix * t

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the work equations above, I found the net work at the top of the ramp to be 10.47J (10.7J from spring initially - 0.041J of friction - 0.19J of gravity = 10.47J), and then I used the Work-Energy equation to find the final velocity at the top of the ramp to be 10.23 m/s.

Using this velocity and the fact that the launch angle is 45 degrees, I found the x and y components of the launch velocity and plugged them into the equations above to get the time the block spent in the air, and then finally the final distance traveled by the block, which I found to be 5.41m.

Unfortunately, this answer is incorrect. After looking around the web for a while for another reasonable solution I found that most answers given were about double mine, as in 10.48m instead of 5.41m. After trying this answer, I found it was also wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like the correct method you have probably messed up the calculations somewhere.

You have PE as m g s sin(th), but you are given the vertical height.
Did you get the normal force right for the friction?

I drew a Free Body Diagram along the ramp, so friction is pointing down the negative x-axis, the normal is perpendicular to the motion along the positive y-axis, and the weight is pointing downward at an angle of 45 in the fourth quadrant (below positive x-axis and to the right of the negative y-axis). This diagram leaves me with a component of weight in the x and y direction and the Fnet equations:

(Fnet)x: Wx - f = M * a
(Fnet)y: n - Wy = 0 => n = Wy => n = Wcos(theta) = > m * g * cos(45)

Then I found the work using those Fnet equations. Maybe I drew my FBD wrong?

You only need a FBD for the friction, remember frictional force acts along the surface (ie the hypotonuse of the triangle in this case) and F = coef * force.NORMAL to the surface

For the PE you are probably making it too complicated.
The vertical height is 2m so the PE is just = 0.2 * 9.8 *2 (the slope doesn't matter)

So the work done by friction would be 4.12J in that case, leaving me with of a Wnet of 10.70J - 4.12J = 6.58J, correct? From there I would just get the velocity as before and plug it into those kinematic equations to get distance?

If I do that, I get a new distance of 3.32m, although I'm not entirely sure if it should be smaller than before. I might still be messing up the calculations somewhere...

Length of slope = 2m / cos(45) = 2.828m (hint cos(45) = sqrt(2)/2 )
Normal force = m g cos(45) = 0.1414 * 9.8N = 1.4N

So energy lost to friction = 0.21 * 1.4N * 2.83m = 0.82J

Related to Finding block flight distance (work/energy/projectile motion)

Question 1:

What is block flight distance?

Block flight distance refers to the horizontal distance traveled by a projectile or object that is launched at an angle from the ground. It is the total distance covered by the object in the air before it lands on the ground.

Question 2:

How is block flight distance calculated?

The block flight distance can be calculated using the formula d = v2sin(2θ)/g, where d is the distance, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is derived from the equations of projectile motion.

Question 3:

What factors affect the block flight distance?

The block flight distance is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as wind, temperature, and altitude can also influence the distance traveled.

Question 4:

Can the block flight distance be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, the block flight distance can be greater than the initial velocity. This is because the distance traveled is influenced by the angle of launch and the acceleration due to gravity, in addition to the initial velocity. An object launched at a higher angle with the same initial velocity will travel a greater distance compared to an object launched at a lower angle.

Question 5:

How is the block flight distance useful in real-world applications?

The block flight distance is useful in many real-world applications, such as in sports, military operations, and transportation. In sports like golf and baseball, understanding the block flight distance can help players improve their performance. In military operations, it can help determine the range of projectiles. In transportation, it is used to calculate the distance required for a plane to take off and land safely.