Finding Bearings: Solve Triangle ABD Problem

• Thread starter jaxta
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the bearing AD in a triangle problem. The person is having trouble understanding how to find this bearing from the given information. They mention that they understand everything else except this part. The other person explains that angle ADC can be found by using basic geometry and that the bearing of DA can be deduced from the given information. The first person tries to use this method but gets confused. The second person clarifies that they did not say the angle ADC would equal the bearing of DC, but rather that the bearing of DA can be calculated from the angle ADC and the bearing of DC.
jaxta
Hey,
I am studying for a test and i am having trouble with this problem. I have attached a photo of the worked solution. For the first part of the triangle (ABD) I understand everything except how they got the bearing AD. How do you find this bearing from the angle BAD.

Attachments

• 20130322_112205.jpg
    20130322_112205.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the angle ABD, and angle BAD has just been calculated. Angle ADC follows from these by a bit of basic geometry.

Thanks for your help, but I'm still wondering how to find the bearing AD which is (208°00'20"). I found the angle for BDA (120°31'21") do i need to do something with that to find bearing AD, I am still confused.

jaxta said:
I found the angle for BDA (120°31'21")
Right, so angle ADC is 180 minus that. You now have the bearing of DC and the angle ADC, so it's easy to deduce bearing DA. Just add/subtract 180 for AD.

Likes 1 person
I looked over it again and that didn't really work out. So angle ADC is 180 minus 120°31'21" . This equals 59°28'39" you said this would equal the bearing DC, however the bearing DC is already given in the question which is 87°29'. I don't know what i did wrong.

jaxta said:
So angle ADC is 180 minus 120°31'21" . This equals 59°28'39" you said this would equal the bearing DC
I did not say that. I listed what you would know after you had worked out the angle ADC: the angle ADC and the bearing of DC. From those you can compute the bearing of DA.

Related to Finding Bearings: Solve Triangle ABD Problem

1. What is the main purpose of solving a triangle ABD problem?

The main purpose of solving a triangle ABD problem is to find the missing measurements (angles or sides) of a triangle when given enough information about the other measurements.

2. What are the basic steps for solving a triangle ABD problem?

The basic steps for solving a triangle ABD problem include:
1. Identify the given information
2. Determine which formula or rule to use
3. Solve for the missing measurement
4. Check your answer by using the other given information or by using the Pythagorean theorem
5. Label your final answer clearly.

3. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used to solve a triangle ABD problem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is used to solve a triangle ABD problem by determining the missing side length in a right triangle when the other two side lengths are known.

4. Is it possible to solve a triangle ABD problem without knowing the values of all three sides?

Yes, it is possible to solve a triangle ABD problem without knowing the values of all three sides. However, you will need to know at least one angle and the length of one side in order to use trigonometric ratios to find the missing measurements.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a triangle ABD problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a triangle ABD problem include:
- Forgetting to label your final answer clearly
- Using the wrong formula or rule
- Using the wrong units for your final answer
- Not checking your answer for accuracy
- Rounding too early in the calculations
- Not drawing a clear and accurate diagram.