Finding basis for kernal of linear map

In summary, the author found a basis for the kernel of a by-linear map and found that the basis was linearly independent. However, the author was not able to solve for the kernel and is unsure if what he did was correct.
PhyStan7

Homework Statement

Let A = 1 3 2 2
1 1 0 -2
0 1 1 2

Viewing A as a linear map from M_(4x1) to M_(3x1) find a basis for the kernal of A and verify directly that these basis vectors are indeed linearly independant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so first i found the reduced row echelon form of A. This equals:

rref(A) =

1 0 -1 -4
0 1 1 2
0 0 0 0

So i found the kernal of this by-

1 0 -1 -4
0 1 1 2
0 0 0 0

Multiplied by

x_1
x_2
x_3
x_4

Equals

x_1 = x_3 + x_4
x_2 = -x_3-2x_4
x_3 = x_3
x_4 = x_4

Therefore kernal...

=x_3 {1, -1, 1, 0} + x_4 {1, -2, 0, 1}

So i thought this meant the basis equalled

Basis of kernal = (1,-1,1,0),(1,-2,0,1)

I have idea what to do now though. I have no idea if what i have done is vaguely right and am not sure if it is how to fulfill the rest of the question. The problem is i have not really incoperated the fact that in the question it states that Viewing A as a linear map from M_(4x1) to M_(3x1). I do not understand this terminology, what does it mean exactly?

(ps - i appologise for the bad formatting)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PhyStan7! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
PhyStan7 said:
… So i found the kernal of this by-

1 0 -1 -4
0 1 1 2
0 0 0 0

Multiplied by

x_1
x_2
x_3
x_4

Equals

x_1 = x_3 + x_4

Nooo :redface:4x4 :wink:
I have idea what to do now though. I have no idea if what i have done is vaguely right and am not sure if it is how to fulfill therest of the question. The problem is i have not really incoperated the fact that in the question it states that Viewing A as a linear map from M_(4x1) to M_(3x1). I do not understand this terminology, what does it mean exactly?

I assume M4x1 is the 4x1 matrices or column vectors.

So A is a function from the 4-column vectors to the 3-column vectors.

Any (constant) matrix is linear, so it's a linear function (linear map).

Only functions (maps) have kernels, so you have to view the matrix as a map to talk about a kernel. :smile:

You want to solve

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 3 & 2 & 2 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 & -2 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}w \\ x \\ y \\ z\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

Which is the same as the three equations w+ 3x+ 2y+ 2z= 0, w+ x- 2z= 0, x +y+ z= 0.

Adding the first two equations eliminates z: 2w+ 4x+ 2y= 0. Multiplying the third equation by 2 and adding to the second equation also eliminates z: w+ 3x+ 2y= 0.

Subtracting the second of those from the first eliminaes y: w+ x= 0 so x= -w.

Putting that back into the previous equations will allow you to write each of x, y, and z in terms of w. The kernel is one-dimensional, not two-dimensional.

A "linear map" is a "linear" function from one vector space to another. If f is a linear map then f(au+ bv)= af(u)+ bf(v) fpr any vectors u and v in the domain, any scalars a and b.

You can think of an "m by n" matrix as a linear map from [itex]R^m[/itex] to [itex]R^n[/itex]. Conversely, any linear map from from m-dimensional U to n dimensional V can be written as an m by n matrix for specific bases for U and V.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Finding basis for kernal of linear map

1. What is the definition of the kernal of a linear map?

The kernal of a linear map is the set of all elements in the domain that are mapped to the zero vector in the codomain. In other words, it is the set of all inputs that result in an output of zero.

2. How do you find the basis for the kernal of a linear map?

To find the basis for the kernal of a linear map, you first need to find the null space of the linear map. This can be done by solving the system of equations that represents the linear map. The basis of the null space will then be the basis for the kernal of the linear map.

3. Why is it important to find the basis for the kernal of a linear map?

Finding the basis for the kernal of a linear map is important because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of the linear map. It also helps us to determine if the map is injective (one-to-one) or surjective (onto).

4. Can a linear map have more than one basis for its kernal?

Yes, a linear map can have more than one basis for its kernal. This is because the kernal represents all possible inputs that result in an output of zero, and there can be multiple combinations of inputs that lead to the same result.

5. How does finding the basis for the kernal of a linear map relate to linear independence?

The basis for the kernal of a linear map is a set of linearly independent vectors. This means that none of the vectors in the basis can be written as a linear combination of the others. Finding the basis for the kernal helps us to identify linearly independent vectors and understand the linear independence of the map.