Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Finding b_n - Binomial theorem problem

Pranav

Nov 4, 2013
Question:
If $\displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{2n} a_r(x-2)^r=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} b_r(x-3)^r$ and $a_k=1$ for all $k \geq n$, then show that $b_n={}^{2n+1}C_{n+1}$.

Attempt:
I haven't been able to make any useful attempt on this one. I could rewrite it to:

$$\sum_{r=0}^{n-1} a_r(x-2)^r + (x-2)^n\left(\frac{(x-2)^{n+1}-1}{(x-2)-1}\right)=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} b_r(x-3)^r$$

I am clueless about the next step.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Question:
If $\displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{2n} a_r(x-2)^r=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} b_r(x-3)^r$ and $a_k=1$ for all $k \geq n$, then show that $b_n={}^{2n+1}C_{n+1}$.

Attempt:
I haven't been able to make any useful attempt on this one. I could rewrite it to:

$$\sum_{r=0}^{n-1} a_r(x-2)^r + (x-2)^n\left(\frac{(x-2)^{n+1}-1}{(x-2)-1}\right)=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} b_r(x-3)^r$$

I am clueless about the next step.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Hi Pranav!

Did you already expand it for $n=2$ and $n=3$?
Just to see if we can find a pattern?

I don't have a solution yet, but I can see that $b_n$ can be fully deduced from the terms starting from n up to 2n.
All terms below n are irrelevant.

Let us define $c_t$ such that the sum is equal to \(\displaystyle \sum_{t=0}^{2n} c_t x^t\).
That is, we have that:
$$\sum_{t=0}^{2n} c_t x^t = \sum_{r=0}^{2n} (x-2)^r=\sum_{s=0}^{2n} b_s(x-3)^s$$

With $a_{2n}=1$, we get that highest power $x^{2n}$ has coefficient:
$$c_{2n}=b_{2n}=a_{2n}=1$$
For $n=0$ we would be done, since $b_n = b_0 = \binom{2\cdot 0 + 1}{0+1} = \binom{1}{1} = 1$.

Next is $c_{2n-1}$, which yields:
\begin{array}{lclcl}
c_{2n-1} &=& a_{2n-1} + \binom{2n}{1}a_{2n}(-2) &=& b_{2n-1} + \binom{2n}{1}b_{2n}(-3) \\
c_{2n-1} &=& 1 - 4n &=& b_{2n-1} - 6n \\
b_{2n-1} &=& 2n + 1
\end{array}
For $n=1$ we would be done, since $b_n = b_1 = 2\cdot 1 + 1 = \binom{2\cdot 1 + 1}{1+1} = \binom{3}{2} = 3$.

Next is $c_{2n-2}$...
Sorry, that's as far as I got at this time. ;)

Pranav

Nov 4, 2013
Hi Pranav!

Did you already expand it for $n=2$ and $n=3$?
Just to see if we can find a pattern?

I don't have a solution yet, but I can see that $b_n$ can be fully deduced from the terms starting from n up to 2n.
All terms below n are irrelevant.

Let us define $c_t$ such that the sum is equal to \(\displaystyle \sum_{t=0}^{2n} c_t x^t\).
That is, we have that:
$$\sum_{t=0}^{2n} c_t x^t = \sum_{r=0}^{2n} (x-2)^r=\sum_{s=0}^{2n} b_s(x-3)^s$$

With $a_{2n}=1$, we get that highest power $x^{2n}$ has coefficient:
$$c_{2n}=b_{2n}=a_{2n}=1$$
For $n=0$ we would be done, since $b_n = b_0 = \binom{2\cdot 0 + 1}{0+1} = \binom{1}{1} = 1$.

Next is $c_{2n-1}$, which yields:
\begin{array}{lclcl}
c_{2n-1} &=& a_{2n-1} + \binom{2n}{1}a_{2n}(-2) &=& b_{2n-1} + \binom{2n}{1}b_{2n}(-3) \\
c_{2n-1} &=& 1 - 4n &=& b_{2n-1} - 6n \\
b_{2n-1} &=& 2n + 1
\end{array}
For $n=1$ we would be done, since $b_n = b_1 = 2\cdot 1 + 1 = \binom{2\cdot 1 + 1}{1+1} = \binom{3}{2} = 3$.

Next is $c_{2n-2}$...
Sorry, that's as far as I got at this time. ;)
Thanks for your input ILS! :)

But is there any proper way of doing it, I mean by some algebraic manipulation? I am thinking of differentiating both the sides wrt r number of times. I will see if I reach somewhere using that.

Pranav

Nov 4, 2013
I have reached the right answer but I cannot perform a summation I come across midway in the solution.

Differentiating wrt r n times as I said before, I get:
$$\sum_{r=0}^{2n} r(r-1)...(r-n+1)a_r(x-2)^{r-n}=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} r(r-1)...(r-n+1)b_r(x-3)^{r-n}$$
$$\Rightarrow \sum_{r=0}^{2n} \frac{r!}{(r-n)!}a_r(x-2)^{r-n}=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} \frac{r!}{(r-n)!}b_r(x-3)^{r-n}$$
Substituting x=3 and using the fact that $a_k=1$ for all $k\geq n$,
$$\sum_{r=n}^{2n} \frac{r!}{(r-n)!}=n! \cdot b_n$$

I did the summation using Wolfram Alpha but how do I solve the summation manually? :confused:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
I have reached the right answer but I cannot perform a summation I come across midway in the solution.

$$\sum_{r=0}^{2n} r(r-1)...(r-n+1)a_r(x-2)^{r-n}=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} r(r-1)...(r-n+1)b_r(x-3)^{r-n}$$
$$\Rightarrow \sum_{r=0}^{2n} \frac{r!}{(r-n)!}a_r(x-2)^{r-n}=\sum_{r=0}^{2n} \frac{r!}{(r-n)!}b_r(x-3)^{r-n}$$
Substituting x=3 and using the fact that $a_k=1$ for all $k\geq n$,
$$\sum_{r=n}^{2n} \frac{r!}{(r-n)!}=n! \cdot b_n$$

I did the summation using Wolfram Alpha but how do I solve the summation manually? :confused:
Nope. I have no clue.
Looks like you're nicely going in the right direction, seeing how everything collapses.

Btw, your summations should start at n instead of 0 after taking the nth derivative.

Anyway, I can see that the summation can be reduced to a summation of combinations that add up to another combination.
And I can see that it holds true for a number of examples.
But as yet I have no clue how to prove it.

Pranav

Nov 4, 2013
Nope. I have no clue.
Looks like you're nicely going in the right direction, seeing how everything collapses.

Btw, your summations should start at n instead of 0 after taking the nth derivative.

Anyway, I can see that the summation can be reduced to a summation of combinations that add up to another combination.
And I can see that it holds true for a number of examples.
But as yet I have no clue how to prove it.
Sorry for the late reply.

Is there any alternative method if there is no way to solve the summation?

Thanks!

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
You have some typos

You are differentiating with respect to $x$ .

The nth derivative with respect to $x$

$$\sum_{r=n}^{2n} r(r-1)...(r-n+1)a_r(x-2)^{r-n}=\sum_{r=n}^{2n} r(r-1)...(r-n+1)b_r(x-3)^{r-n}$$

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
\(\displaystyle \sum_{r=n}^{2n} \frac{r!}{(r-n)!}=n! \cdot b_n\)

\(\displaystyle b_n =\sum_{r=n}^{2n} \frac{r!}{(r-n)!\, n! } \)

\(\displaystyle b_n =\sum_{r=n}^{2n} {n \choose r } \)

we need to prove that

\(\displaystyle \sum_{r=n}^{2n} {r \choose n } = {2n+1 \choose n+1}={2n+1 \choose n}\)

By induction on $n$

for $n = 1$ we have

\(\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{2} {r\choose 1 } = {3 \choose 1}\)

Next assume

\(\displaystyle \sum_{r=k}^{2k} {r \choose k } = {2k+1 \choose k}\)

and we need to prove that

\(\displaystyle \sum_{r=k+1}^{2k+2} {r \choose k+1 } = {2k+3 \choose k+1}\)

I will leave the rest for you.

jacks

Apr 5, 2012
Given $\displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{2n}a_{r}\left(x-2\right)^r = \sum_{r=0}^{2n}b_{r}\left(x-3\right)^r$ and $a_{k} = 1$ forall $k\geq n$

Let $(x-3) = t$ Then $(x-2) = (t+1)$

$\displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{2n}a_{r}(1+t)^r = \sum_{r=0}^{2n}b_{r}t^r$

$\displaystyle a_{0}+a_{1}(1+t)+a_{2}(1+t)^2+............+a_{n}(1+t)^n+a_{n+1}(1+t)^{n+1}+.......+a_{2n}(1+t)^{2n} = b_{0}+b_{1}t+b_{2}t^2+.......+b_{n}t^n+b_{n+1}t^{n+1}+......+b_{2n}t^{2n}$

Now camparing Coefficient of $t^n$ on both side and using $a_{k}=1$ forall $k\geq n$

$\displaystyle \binom{n}{n}+\binom{n+1}{n}+\binom{n+2}{n}+........+\binom{2n}{n} = b_{n}$

$\displaystyle \binom{n+1}{n+1}+\binom{n+1}{n}+\binom{n+2}{n}+........+\binom{2n}{n} = b_{n}$

Now using $\displaystyle \binom{n}{r}+\binom{n}{r-1} = \binom{n+1}{r}$ succesively

$\displaystyle \binom{2n+1}{n+1} = b_{n}$

Here $\displaystyle b_{n} = $ Coefficient of $t^n$ on $\bf{R.H.S}$

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Next assume

\(\displaystyle \sum_{r=k}^{2k} {r \choose k } = {2k+1 \choose k}\)

and we need to prove that

\(\displaystyle \sum_{r=k+1}^{2k+2} {r \choose k+1 } = {2k+3 \choose k+1}\)

I will leave the rest for you.
This is where I got stuck...

However, the approach of jacks looks perfect! :)

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013

Pranav

Nov 4, 2013
Given $\displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{2n}a_{r}\left(x-2\right)^r = \sum_{r=0}^{2n}b_{r}\left(x-3\right)^r$ and $a_{k} = 1$ forall $k\geq n$

Let $(x-3) = t$ Then $(x-2) = (t+1)$

$\displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{2n}a_{r}(1+t)^r = \sum_{r=0}^{2n}b_{r}t^r$

$\displaystyle a_{0}+a_{1}(1+t)+a_{2}(1+t)^2+............+a_{n}(1+t)^n+a_{n+1}(1+t)^{n+1}+.......+a_{2n}(1+t)^{2n} = b_{0}+b_{1}t+b_{2}t^2+.......+b_{n}t^n+b_{n+1}t^{n+1}+......+b_{2n}t^{2n}$

Now camparing Coefficient of $t^n$ on both side and using $a_{k}=1$ forall $k\geq n$

$\displaystyle \binom{n}{n}+\binom{n+1}{n}+\binom{n+2}{n}+........+\binom{2n}{n} = b_{n}$

$\displaystyle \binom{n+1}{n+1}+\binom{n+1}{n}+\binom{n+2}{n}+........+\binom{2n}{n} = b_{n}$

Now using $\displaystyle \binom{n}{r}+\binom{n}{r-1} = \binom{n+1}{r}$ succesively

$\displaystyle \binom{2n+1}{n+1} = b_{n}$

Here $\displaystyle b_{n} = $ Coefficient of $t^n$ on $\bf{R.H.S}$
Thanks a lot jacks! :)

BTW, my friend came up with exactly the same procedure this morning and I was going to post it here as soon as I reach home.

EDIT: Looks like you made it a bit lengthy. Rewrite the summation as:

$$\sum_{r=0}^{n-1} a_r(1+t)^{r}+ (1+t)^n\frac{(1+t)^{n+1}-1}{t}=\sum_{r=0}^{2n}b_rt^r$$
$$\sum_{r=0}^{n-1} a_r(1+t)^{r}+ \frac{(1+t)^{2n+1}-(1+t)^n}{t}=\sum_{r=0}^{2n}b_rt^r$$
Now we need the coefficient of $t^n$ on both the sides.

On the left hand side, we find the coefficient of t^(n+1) from (1+t)^(2n+1) as there is a $t$ in the denominator.

Hence, the coefficient of t^n on LHS is $\binom{2n+1}{n+1}$.

Last edited: