Finding average velocity in a velocity distribution

In summary: Also, it is common to denote the average of a quantity with brackets, so the answer would be$$<v>=(3/4)*V0$$In summary, a gas with a hypothetical speed distribution for N gas molecules with N(v) = Cv^2 for 0 < v < V0 can be expressed as C = 3N/v^3. The average speed of the particles is calculated as <v> = (3/4)*V0.
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

A gas has a hypothetical speed distribution for N gas molecules with N(v) = Cv^2 for 0 < v < V0. Find (i) an expression for C in terms of N and v0 (ii) the average speed of the particles

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

(i)
integrating N(v) with respect to v from 0 to V0 gives
N = (C*V0^3)/3 (where is N is total number of molecules)
rearranging gives C =3*N/(v^3)
(ii)
integrating N(v)*v with respect to v gives
sum(v) = (C*V0^4)/4
subbing in for C gives
sum(v) = (3N/4)*V0

sum(v)/N = Vav = (3/4)*V0

I've been having difficulty with this question for a while and can't seem to find any similar question online so I have no idea if what I did is correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Woolyabyss said:
N(v) = Cv^2 for 0 < v < V0
What does that mean?
In the preceding sentence we were told that ##N## is the number of molecules in the system. Now all of a sudden ##N## is being used to denote something completely different.
From the fact that later on it is integrated to obtain an expected value, I presume that ##N(v)## is supposed to be a probability density function (pdf) for the random variable ##V## that is the speed of a randomly selected molecule. But if that's the case it needs to use a different letter. For instance it would be common practice to write ##F## for the cumulative distribution function so that

$$Prob(V\leq v)\equiv F(v)$$
and then
$$f(v)=\frac{dF(v)}{dv}$$
and then specify the distribution by the equation ##f(v)=Cv^2##.

But I don't know whether that is what was intended.

andrewkirk said:
What does that mean?
In the preceding sentence we were told that ##N## is the number of molecules in the system. Now all of a sudden ##N## is being used to denote something completely different.
From the fact that later on it is integrated to obtain an expected value, I presume that ##N(v)## is supposed to be a probability density function (pdf) for the random variable ##V## that is the speed of a randomly selected molecule. But if that's the case it needs to use a different letter. For instance it would be common practice to write ##F## for the cumulative distribution function so that

$$Prob(V\leq v)\equiv F(v)$$
and then
$$f(v)=\frac{dF(v)}{dv}$$
and then specify the distribution by the equation ##f(v)=Cv^2##.

But I don't know whether that is what was intended.
according to my lecture notes the dimensionless product N(v) dv gives the number of molecules having speeds in the range v to v +dv.

In that case, they mean by ##N(v)## the same thing as I have written above as ##f(v)##. It's bad practice to use the same symbol ##N## for two different things, but there's not much you can do about the notation your lecturer uses.
Using that interpretation, your calcs look correct. The only flaw is that in your final conclusion you have written 'sum(v)' where one would expect you have to written the average v0, since they have asked for an expression for C in terms of N and v0.

Likes Woolyabyss

Related to Finding average velocity in a velocity distribution

What is average velocity in a velocity distribution?

Average velocity in a velocity distribution is the average speed of an object over a given period of time. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion.

How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement of an object by the time it took to cover that distance. This can be represented by the equation: average velocity = displacement / time.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall average speed of an object over a specific time period, while instantaneous velocity is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time.

How does a velocity distribution affect the calculation of average velocity?

A velocity distribution shows the range of velocities that an object is moving at during a given time period. The shape and spread of the distribution can affect the overall value of average velocity, as it takes into account the different speeds the object is moving at.

What is the importance of finding average velocity in a velocity distribution?

Finding average velocity in a velocity distribution is important for understanding the overall motion of an object. It can provide valuable information about an object's speed and direction of travel, and is often used in scientific studies and real-world applications such as in the field of physics and engineering.