Finding Average Shear Strain in a flexible connection of rubber and steel

In summary, the student is trying to find the shear strain of a piece of rubber when given the thickness, load, and shear modulus of rubber. They are using the equation τ=γG, but are having trouble finding γ and horizontal displacement. They are also having trouble with converting from units to each other.
dabest1

Homework Statement

[See Attachment]

Given: Thickness, load, G

Find:γ and horizontal displacement.

Homework Equations

τ=γG
Angle change should be the shear strain.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging 800 into tau and the given value of G to get γ, but that isn't working. I also tried to draw a deformation, but I don't know how to deduce how much it will deform from the question. I also don't know where thickness is used in this problem.

Attachments

• 1_18_2.jpg
    1_18_2.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,106
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you 'plugging' 800 into Tau? Isn't tau the denoted symbol for shear stress? Look carefully at the diagram given to you. Figure (b) is a section view of figure (a), therefore you can deduce the area over which P is applied using that. You can then calculate the shear stress, and since you are given the shear modulus of rubber, you can finally move on to calculate the shear strain of the rubber.

Will the area be 150 x 10?

So I calculated the stress = (15000)/(1500 x 10^-3) = 10000

Then did 15000/800000 for y.

It is wrong.

Last edited:
No, it won't. The area of the applied force is 200mm x 150mm right? 10mm is the thickness of the steel plates. Now, try recalulating the shear stress on area where the force P is applied. Remember, the question asks for the average shear stress, so a bit more work is involved after.

Alright, so I did that.

stress = force/area = 15000/(200x150x10^-3) = 500

tau = yG

500 = y*800000

y = 6.25 x 10^-4..

Which is still wrong...

Bare with me as I havn't done this in class yet, just read over it whilst looking through a book. It's looking for the average strain, yes? So I'm assuming you have to use the average force that is applied or the average stress you calculate (again, bare with me). Try it with both, and see what answer you get.

Oh, and when converting you units of area, do it for both dimensions, not just the one. :)

Related to Finding Average Shear Strain in a flexible connection of rubber and steel

1. What is a flexible connection of rubber and steel?

A flexible connection of rubber and steel is a type of joint or connection that is made up of both rubber and steel components. The rubber provides flexibility and allows for movement, while the steel provides strength and stability.

2. Why is it important to find the average shear strain in this type of connection?

The average shear strain in a flexible connection of rubber and steel is important because it can help determine the overall performance and durability of the connection. It can also provide insight into potential areas of weakness or failure.

3. How is the average shear strain calculated in this type of connection?

The average shear strain in a flexible connection of rubber and steel can be calculated by dividing the total shear deformation by the original length of the connection. This can be done using various mathematical formulas and techniques.

4. What factors can affect the average shear strain in this type of connection?

There are several factors that can affect the average shear strain in a flexible connection of rubber and steel, including the material properties of the rubber and steel, the design of the connection, and the amount of stress or load placed on the connection.

5. How can the average shear strain be optimized in this type of connection?

To optimize the average shear strain in a flexible connection of rubber and steel, careful consideration must be given to the material selection, design, and load bearing capacity of the connection. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections can help prevent excessive strain and prolong the lifespan of the connection.