Finding Applied Force with Free Body Diagrams (Grade 12 Physics)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the applied force and the force with which the object hits the ground when a 10kg object is thrown down a building with a distance of 50m and an initial velocity of 5 m/s. The equations of Fapp= Fnet+Fg, Fnet=acceleration x mass, and Fg=mass(g) are mentioned, with the attempt at a solution focusing on finding Fapp. It is noted that the force may not be applied after the object leaves the throwing hand, potentially making Fnet=Fapp-Fg=-98.1N, but this may not be correct as the object is being thrown down, not dropped. The possibility that the force of gravity is the only force
jolierouge

Homework Statement

You have a 10kg object that is thrown down a building. The distance from the ground to the building is 50m. The initial velocity of the object is 5 m/s. What is the applied force and what force does the object hit the ground with?

Homework Equations

Fapp= Fnet+Fg
Fnet=acceleration x mass
Fg=mass(g)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start on this question. I don't think I can assume the acceleration of the object is 9.81 m/s/s because it is thrown down not dropped. Without acceleration I can't find Fnet. Without Fnet I can't find Fapp. All I know is Fg=mass(g)= 98.1N. Can someone help me on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
jolierouge said:

Homework Statement

You have a 10kg object that is thrown down a building. The distance from the ground to the building is 50m. The initial velocity of the object is 5 m/s. What is the applied force and what force does the object hit the ground with?

Homework Equations

Fapp= Fnet+Fg
Fnet=acceleration x mass
Fg=mass(g)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start on this question. I don't think I can assume the acceleration of the object is 9.81 m/s/s because it is thrown down not dropped.

While the throw does indeed apply a force to the object, what happens after the object leave the throwing hand? Is the force still being applied?

I would suppose the force isn't being applied anymore. Huh never even thought of that. Is there a way to find out the applied force on the object when it was first thrown?
If the force is being applied anymore that would make Fnet=Fapp-Fg=-98.1N. Right? Making acceleration -9.81m/s/s, but that is wrong right? Because it's being thrown down. Now I don't know what think.
If the force of gravity is the only force acting on it after being thrown would that make the force that the object hits the ground with Fg?

Last edited:

Related to Finding Applied Force with Free Body Diagrams (Grade 12 Physics)

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It shows the direction and magnitude of each force and helps in analyzing the motion of the object.

2. How do I find the applied force using free body diagrams?

To find the applied force, you need to first draw a free body diagram of the object. Then, add up all the forces acting on the object and set them equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration (F=ma). The resulting value will be the applied force.

3. Can a free body diagram be used for objects in motion?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for objects in motion. It helps in understanding the forces that are causing the motion of the object and how they are affecting its acceleration.

4. Are there any limitations to using free body diagrams to find applied force?

Free body diagrams are a simplified representation of real-world situations and have some limitations. They do not take into account factors such as air resistance, friction, and rotation, which may affect the actual applied force in a given situation.

5. How can I improve my understanding of free body diagrams and applied force?

The best way to improve your understanding of free body diagrams and applied force is to practice drawing and analyzing them for different scenarios. You can also watch online tutorials or consult with a physics teacher for further clarification and guidance.