Finding angular acceleration for this prob

In summary, to find the constant angular acceleration of a rotating wheel, you can use the formula w = wo + alpha(t), where w is the final angular velocity, wo is the initial angular velocity, alpha is the angular acceleration, and t is the time interval. Alternatively, you can use the formula theta = (wf)t - .5*alpha*t^2, where theta is the angle of rotation, wf is the final angular velocity, t is the time interval, and alpha is the angular acceleration.
ballahboy
A rotating wheel requires 3.00s to rotate 37.0 revolutions. Its angular velocity at the end of the 3.00-s interval is 98.0rad/s. What is the constant angular acceleration of the wheel?

What i did was i used average w=delta(theta)/delta time. Then i used average w=radical(w^2+wo^2) to find wo. Then i plugged it all into w=wo+alpha(t) and i got alpha=12.67. The answer is suppose to be 13.7rad/s^2. Can someone help me on this problem?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a single formula, incorporating all the elements you are given: wf, t, theta, alpha. Find that, and just sub in values.

What is the formula? The ones I have all have "wi" in it and I'm not sure I calculated that correctly.

Here's how you calculate the initial angular velocity.

Since angular acceleration is constant:
[tex]\frac{\Delta\theta}{\Delta t}=\omega_{av}=\frac{\omega+\omega_{0}}{2}[/tex]
Since one revolution is [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians,
[tex]2\times\frac{37\times 2\pi}{3 s}-98.0\frac{rad}{s}=\omega_{0}[/tex]

Now use [tex]\omega=\omega_{0}+\alpha\Delta t[/tex]

That method works, as does using: theta = (wf)t - .5*alpha*t^2.

Related to Finding angular acceleration for this prob

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, which is the change in rotational speed or direction of an object. It is measured in radians per second squared or degrees per second squared.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's rotation is changing, while linear acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's linear motion is changing. Angular acceleration is measured in radians or degrees, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

3. How do you calculate angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It can also be calculated by taking the second derivative of the angular position with respect to time.

4. What factors affect angular acceleration?

The factors that affect angular acceleration include the magnitude of the torque applied to the object, the moment of inertia of the object, and the distribution of mass within the object. The shape and size of the object can also affect its angular acceleration.

5. Why is angular acceleration important?

Angular acceleration is important in understanding the motion and stability of rotating objects. It is also essential in many real-world applications, such as in the design of vehicles and machinery, as well as in the study of celestial bodies and their movements.