Finding Angular Acceleration for a Rotating Wheel with a Hanging Mass

In summary, the wheel is rotating and its angular acceleration is equal to its moment of inertia multiplied by the tension in the chord.
flower76
I'm trying to solve this problem, but keep going around and not getting the correct equation.

A wheel of radius R, mass M, and moment of inertia I is mounted on a frictionless horizontal axle. A light cord wrapped around the wheel supports a body of mass m. At time t=0, the body is let go and the wheel starts rotating.

Show that the angular acceleration of the wheel is:

[tex]\alpha\equiv\frac{g}{R+I/mR}[/tex]

I know that [tex]I\alpha=TR[/tex] where T is the tension in the chord
and [tex]T=mg-ma[/tex], and [tex]a=R\alpha[/tex]

But in trying to combine the equations something is not working out, I think I am missing something, but I can't figure out what. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
flower76 said:
I know that [tex]I\alpha=TR[/tex] where T is the tension in the chord
and [tex]T=mg-ma[/tex], and [tex]a=R\alpha[/tex]

But in trying to combine the equations something is not working out, I think I am missing something, but I can't figure out what. Please help.
You're not missing anything. Do it step by step. Take the last equation, combine it with the second one (that is, eliminate "a" in the second equation). Then take your new expression for T in terms of alpha and combine it with the first equation to eliminate T. Now just solve for alpha.

Ok so I'm almost there, but when I try and solve for [tex]\alpha[/tex] things go a little off.

So I've got the equation down to [tex]\frac{I\alpha}{R}=mg-mR\alpha[/tex]
Am I right so far? Now here is where my math skills fail me, and when I try and take [tex]\alpha[/tex] out of the equation, I definitely don't get the right answer.
Suggestions are welcome, thanks.

I've figured it out, thanks for the initial help!

Related to Finding Angular Acceleration for a Rotating Wheel with a Hanging Mass

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of the angular velocity of an object over time. It is a measure of how quickly the object's rotational speed is changing.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

While linear acceleration measures the change in an object's linear velocity, angular acceleration measures the change in an object's angular velocity. Linear acceleration is measured in units of distance over time squared, while angular acceleration is measured in units of radians per second squared.

3. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The units of angular acceleration are radians per second squared, so the formula is often written as α = Δω/Δt.

4. What factors can affect angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is affected by the net torque acting on an object. This torque is influenced by factors such as the object's mass, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the force applied to the object. Friction and air resistance can also affect angular acceleration.

5. How is angular acceleration used in real-world applications?

Angular acceleration is used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and robotics. It is necessary for understanding the motion of objects that rotate, such as wheels, gears, and motors. It is also used in navigation systems, such as gyroscopes, to measure changes in orientation and provide stability.