Finding Angles after Perfectly Elastic Collisions

In summary: I'm not sure.In summary, the angle between the direction taken of the target (previously static) ball and the original direction of the incident ball is 55 degrees.
AJKing

Homework Statement

A 0.045kg Steel marble collides obliquely with an identical stationary marble, and continues at 55 degrees to its original direction. The collision is perfectly elastic. What is the angle between the direction taken of the target (previously static) ball and the original direction of the incident ball?

So:

m1: 0.045 kg
v1: >0m/s
p1: >0m/s

m2: 0.045 kg
v2: 0 m/s
p2: 0 m/s

p= m1v1
p'=m1v1 + m2v2
p = p'θ1': 55 degrees above or below previous.
θ2': ?

Homework Equations

p = mv

p = m1v1 + m2v2

p' = m1v1' + m2v2'

p = p'

Sine Law

Cosine Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Manipulating several formulas to find a result that required so few variables.

No real luck there.

Attempted to build a system where I added some variables, like v1' but that was unfruitful, given that the incident was feigned anyway.

Any suggestions are certainly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are two quantities that are conserved in an elastic collision: [kinetic] energy & momentum. Using this, can you write down two equations representing the two conservation laws.

Hootenanny said:
There are two quantities that are conserved in an elastic collision: [kinetic] energy & momentum. Using this, can you write down two equations representing the two conservation laws.

My instructor has neglected to teach me about energy laws yet (though it is in the next unit). Suggestions on sources to study?

AJKing said:
My instructor has neglected to teach me about energy laws yet (though it is in the next unit). Suggestions on sources to study?
Okay, perhaps a different tact is required. What do you know about the speed of the two marbles after the collision?

A nice little primer on elastic collisions can be found here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/elacol.html

Hootenanny said:
Okay, perhaps a different tact is required. What do you know about the speed of the two marbles after the collision?

A nice little primer on elastic collisions can be found here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/elacol.html

I think I know very little. I could make some logical assumptions but I feel that that's not what you're trying to push me towards.

Am I overlooking something obvious?

Okay, so we know that both energy and momentum are conserved. Now, I know you don't know a great deal about energy conservation, but I'm sure you know the basics. So, before the collision the total kinetic energy of the system (both masses) is [itex]T = \frac{1}{2}m{v^{(1)}}^2[/itex]. Without loss of generality, we can assume that the marble is initially moving in the positive x direction. Therefore, the initial momentum in the x-direction is [itex]p_x = mv^{(1)}[/itex]. Likewise, in the y-direction [itex]p_y = 0[/itex].

Do you follow so far? Now, what can we say about the total kinetic energy and momenta immediately after the collision?

Hootenanny said:
Okay, so we know that both energy and momentum are conserved. Now, I know you don't know a great deal about energy conservation, but I'm sure you know the basics. So, before the collision the total kinetic energy of the system (both masses) is [itex]T = \frac{1}{2}m{v^{(1)}}^2[/itex]. Without loss of generality, we can assume that the marble is initially moving in the positive x direction. Therefore, the initial momentum in the x-direction is [itex]p_x = mv^{(1)}[/itex]. Likewise, in the y-direction [itex]p_y = 0[/itex].

Do you follow so far? Now, what can we say about the total kinetic energy and momenta immediately after the collision?

I believe I'm with you.

So, after the collision,

[itex]p_x' = mv^{(x1')} + mv^{(x2')}[/itex]
or
[itex]p_x' = mv^{(1')}cos55 + mv^{(2')}cosθ[/itex]

and

[itex]p_y' = 0 = mv^{(y1')} + mv^{(y2')}[/itex]
or
[itex]p_y' = 0 = mv^{(1')}sin55 + mv^{(2')}sinθ[/itex]
or
[itex] -mv^{(1')}sin55 = mv^{(2')}sinθ[/itex]

and

[itex]T' = \frac{1}{2}m{v^{(1')}}^2 + \frac{1}{2}m{v^{(2')}}^2[/itex]

A lot of these masses can be canceled out.
What's the next step with the kinetic energy equation?

Last edited:
With the kinetic energy, we have
[tex]\frac{1}{2}m{v^{(1)}}^2 = \frac{1}{2}m{v^{(1')}}^2 + \frac{1}{2}m{v^{(2')}}^2\;,[/tex]
or
[tex]{v^{(1)}}^2 = {v^{(1')}}^2 + {v^{(2')}}^2\;.[/tex]
Moreover, you can rewrite your equation for the x-component of momentum as
[tex]v^{(1)} = v^{(1')}cos55 + v^{(2')}cosθ\;.[/tex]
Can you use these two equations, together with your equation of the y-component of the momentum to find [itex]\theta[/itex]?

I can rearrange the variables well, but I only find seem to end up with more complex derivatives of the original.

Nothing seems to cancel. I fear I may be making rudimentary mistakes, given the hour and my lack of sleep.

I don't want to give up now, and I'm not asking for the answer yet, but do you have any more suggestions?

Since we are only interested in the angles, you can also assume that [itex]v^{(1)}[/itex] is known, i.e. just set [itex]v^{(1)}=1[/itex].

[itex]θ = cos^{-1}(({v^{(1)}-v^{(1')}cos55})/{v^{(2')}})[/itex]

Is this right?
I still can't find that cancel; I get extremely close but then exponent rules get in the way.

My gut is telling me it's 55 degrees (which would be grand).

i am starting from the first principle, although u must have learned a lot from the previous helping hands.
Consider obvious points for an elastic collision:
1) momentum is conserved (i.e, in both X and Y axes).
Now, imagine the first ball was moving along negative X-axis toward origin, where it collided with the 2nd ball (stationary). Here only X-axis momentum was present before collision, so after collision the Y-axis components of momentum must cancel each other. After collision the first ball moves in an angle 55 deg, let us suppose, with positive X-axis, that is, , in +X/+Y quadrant of the co-ordinate system. It implies that the initially stationary ball would move in the +X/-Y plane because otherwise the Y-axis momentum would not cancel each other after collision and that cancellation is an obvious condition for conservation of momentum in Y-axis. This conclusion we can reach by conservation of momentum concept.

Just draw the fig. and imagine the collision.

2) kinetic energy must conserve. It implies,
½ mu2 = ½ mv12 + ½ mv22.
Or, u square = v1 square + v2 square.

It follows that v1 and v2 must be perpendicular to each other, if neither is zero. (imagine a right angled triangle obeying Pythagorian theorem having smaller sides v1 and v2 and with hypotenuse u. in this case v1 and v2 are mutually perpendicular).
For head on collisions (not the case, we are presently dealing with) v1 becomes zero, so v2 = u. this is a special case, where the first ball stops after collision and the stationary ball moves with the velocity of the first ball possessed before collision.

Now, if the 2nd ball makes an angle θ with positive X-axis in the +x/-Y plane, it follows that 55+ θ = 90 . the answer follows. this is a physical explanation of the proceedings, but you can find mathematically the same result also (i,e, 55+ θ = 90 and which u are trying, i have noticed, in the previous posts. it needs a bit of mathematical processes) with the three eqn.s of X-axis and Y-axis monentum conservation and K.E. conservation before and after collision.
this is an interesting problem where we can conclude that when two equal masses collide elastically, one being stationary, and the collision is not head on, the angle between the velocities after collision will always be 90 deg, it is independent of the values of the individual masses (as long as they are equal) and the angle of deflection of the first mass.

Last edited:
You're on the right lines. Another good resource is here: http://www.scar.utoronto.ca/~pat/fun/NEWT3D/PDF/MOMENT3D.PDF

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Finding Angles after Perfectly Elastic Collisions

1. What is a perfectly elastic collision?

A perfectly elastic collision is a type of collision where kinetic energy is conserved, meaning that the total amount of kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same. In other words, there is no loss of energy due to deformation or heat.

2. How do you calculate the angle after a perfectly elastic collision?

The angle after a perfectly elastic collision can be calculated using the law of conservation of momentum and the law of conservation of kinetic energy. The angle can be found using the formula: θ = tan^-1 ((m1v1sinθ1 + m2v2sinθ2) / (m1v1cosθ1 + m2v2cosθ2)), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, v1 and v2 are their velocities, and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of their initial velocities.

3. What factors affect the angle after a perfectly elastic collision?

The angle after a perfectly elastic collision is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved in the collision. The angle also depends on the direction of the initial velocities and the angle at which the objects collide.

4. Can the angle after a perfectly elastic collision be greater than 90 degrees?

Yes, the angle after a perfectly elastic collision can be greater than 90 degrees. This can happen when the objects have different initial velocities and collide at an angle that is greater than 90 degrees.

5. Are perfectly elastic collisions common in real life?

No, perfectly elastic collisions are not very common in real life. In most real-life collisions, some energy is lost due to factors like deformation or heat, making them inelastic collisions. However, perfectly elastic collisions do occur in certain scenarios, such as the collision of gas particles or the collision of subatomic particles.