Finding angle for this resultant vector

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of law of cosines and sines to find the appropriate angle between two displacements that result in a given magnitude of resultant displacement. The person has attempted to draw a triangle and use the mentioned laws, but has not been successful. Another person offers to help and asks for an attempt to be shown. Later, the person provides an updated attempt with the correct angles.
RandellK02
Hello I am working on this problem and just can't figure it out...

Consider two displacements, one of magnitude 3.0 m and another of magnitude 3.8 m. What angle between the directions of this two displacements give a resultant displacement of magnitude (a) 5.7 m, (b) 2.5 m, and (c) 3.6 m.

I have tried to draw the triangle and then use law of cosines and sines to find the appropriate angle but it seems to not be going the way I want it. Is this the correct solution or is there another way to go?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hello RandellK02! Welcome to PF! :wink:
RandellK02 said:
I have tried to draw the triangle and then use law of cosines and sines to find the appropriate angle but it seems to not be going the way I want it. Is this the correct solution or is there another way to go?

It should work.

(You are drawing the two given sides head-to-tail, aren't you?)

Show us one of your attempts. :smile:

Okay I will retry my math.
Thanks

Website states this is Incorrect.

Consider two displacements, one of magnitude 2.9 m and another of magnitude 4.4 m. What angle between the directions of this two displacements give a resultant displacement of magnitude (a) 5.6 m, (b) 2.9 m, and (c) 4.6 m.

Hello! It sounds like you are on the right track with using the law of cosines and sines to find the angle between the two displacements. However, it is important to make sure that you are considering the right triangle in your calculations.

For a resultant displacement of 5.7 m, the two displacements of 3.0 m and 3.8 m would form a triangle with a hypotenuse of 5.7 m. Using the law of cosines, we can find the angle between the two displacements to be approximately 43.6 degrees.

For a resultant displacement of 2.5 m, the triangle formed by the two displacements would have a hypotenuse of 2.5 m. In this case, the angle between the two displacements would be approximately 27.4 degrees.

For a resultant displacement of 3.6 m, the triangle formed would have a hypotenuse of 3.6 m and the angle between the two displacements would be approximately 31.7 degrees.

Remember to double check your calculations and make sure that you are considering the correct triangle for each scenario. I hope this helps and good luck with your problem!

Related to Finding angle for this resultant vector

1. What is the formula for finding the angle of a resultant vector?

The formula for finding the angle of a resultant vector is θ = tan⁻¹ (y/x), where y is the vertical component of the vector and x is the horizontal component of the vector.

2. Can I use trigonometry to find the angle of a resultant vector?

Yes, trigonometry is used to find the angle of a resultant vector by using the inverse tangent function.

3. How do I find the angle when given the components of a resultant vector?

To find the angle of a resultant vector, you will need to use the inverse tangent function and plug in the values of the vertical and horizontal components.

4. What units is the angle of a resultant vector measured in?

The angle of a resultant vector is typically measured in degrees (°) or radians (rad).

5. Can I find the angle of a resultant vector using only the magnitude and direction of the original vectors?

Yes, you can use the Law of Cosines to find the angle of a resultant vector if you know the magnitudes and directions of the original vectors.