Speed of Light: Constant or Variable?

In summary: Originally posted by maximusI've read about them slowing the speed of light to somsething like 38Miles per hour, which is a lot slower than the 3x10^8 m/s that it travels in a vacuum, but I don't know how that fits into everything.Why does refraction occur when light travels from air to a glass block? It is because the speed of light in air and in the glass block is different.Kl and Armed, again, it depends on your frame of reference. These other guys are right when in the micro scale - light DOES always travel at C in a vacuum. Light travels from one molecule to the next at C, then is either absorbed and
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
everywhere i look the statement "the speed of light is constant" is sited, yet in experiments with BOSS EINSTEIN condensates the speed of light has been measured at mere meters per second, this from WIKIPEDIA, so am i missing somthing?

Science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by wolram
everywhere i look the statement "the speed of light is constant" is sited, yet in experiments with BOSS EINSTEIN condensates the speed of light has been measured at mere meters per second, this from WIKIPEDIA, so am i missing somthing?
Yes. What you are missing is the other half of the statement.

"The speed of light is constant...IN A VACUUM"

Actually what your missin is that the speed of light is constant everywhere. What happens in material is that light interacts with matter, i.e. is absorbed and emitted, making it appear to have slown down, but between those interactions it is still moving at c.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Yes. What you are missing is the other half of the statement.

"The speed of light is constant...IN A VACUUM"

uhhh... no. it's the constant everywhere. that's why it's called a "constant".

and it is called the constant (i suppose) because nothing known can travel faster than it.

oh, and "mere meters a second" is technically true, but may be a bit of an understatement.

[quotee]Actually what your missin is that the speed of light is constant everywhere. What happens in material is that light interacts with matter, i.e. is absorbed and emitted, making it appear to have slown down, but between those interactions it is still moving at c.[/quote]
Originally posted by maximus
uhhh... no. it's the constant everywhere. that's why it's called a "constant".
Ok, maybe what I used is the high school definition, but its a very common one. Here is a college physics class website that words it that way.

I understand the distinction though.
and it is called the constant (i suppose) because nothing known can travel faster than it.
Well its *A* constant because it never changes. Its constant.

I guess which you use depends on if you are talking macro or microscopically. Relativity or Quantum Mechanics. Thats why while talking about the speed of light in a medium, even though there really is no such thing as "the speed of light through a medium" there is an APPARANT speed of light through a medium - people generally don't make the distinction.

off to the T.P. forum this goes!

yes it is an understatement maximus, i have seen a report that said,"light stopped in its tracks" aphoton is directed into the condensate and dosent reappear until a second photon is sent in then the firt photon reappears traveling at c, i didnt quote this because i canot recall where i found it, its hard to imagine a photon traveling at c in what is only a tiny volume.

The speed of light does depend on what it is traveling through. Thats how you can separate light into its different freqencies.

I've read about them slowing the speed of light to somsething like 38Miles per hour, which is a lot slower than the 3x10^8 m/s that it travels in a vacuum, but I don't know how that fits into everything.

Why does refraction occur when light travels from air to a glass block? It is because the speed of light in air and in the glass block is different.

Kl and Armed, again, it depends on your frame of reference. These other guys are right when in the micro scale - light DOES always travel at C in a vacuum. Light travels from one molecule to the next at C, then is either absorbed and re-emitted or reflected. The effect is that it APPEARS the light has been slowed down.

In the macro scale, it is simply easier to say it has slowed down. The math is much simpler that way.

1. Is the speed of light constant?

Yes, according to current scientific understanding, the speed of light is constant and does not change under any circumstances.

2. How did scientists determine the speed of light?

The speed of light was first accurately measured in 1676 by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer, who observed the time difference between the eclipses of Jupiter's moon Io at different points in Earth's orbit. Since then, it has been measured and confirmed through various experiments.

3. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

Based on Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. Therefore, it is currently believed that the speed of light cannot be exceeded.

4. Has the speed of light always been the same?

It is currently believed that the speed of light has remained constant throughout the history of the universe. However, some theories suggest that the speed of light may have been different in the early stages of the universe's formation.

5. Can the speed of light be measured in different mediums?

Yes, the speed of light can be measured in different mediums, such as air, water, and glass. However, it will travel at a slower speed in these mediums compared to its speed in a vacuum.