Finding acceleration of a block on the way down an incline

In summary, to find the acceleration of a block on an incline, first set your calculator to degrees and use the equation a = g (sinθ - μcosθ) with the given values of μs = 0.6, μk = 0.3, and mass of block = 2.00 kg. The correct answer is 4.04, not 9.26, which was likely caused by using the incorrect units of radians instead of degrees.
Maylandra

Homework Statement

Find acceleration of block on the way down incline.
The incline is 40 degrees and made of steel. The block is also made of steel.
μs = 0.6
μk = 0.3
mass of block = 2.00 kg

Homework Equations

a = g (sinθ - μcosθ)
a = F/m

The Attempt at a Solution

My friend is getting 4.04 somehow. When I plug the numbers in, using the coefficient of kinetic friction, I get 9.26.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First set your calculator to degrees instead of radians. Where are your equations coming from? Which is correctt and why?

Likes Maylandra
PhanthomJay said:
First set your calculator to degrees instead of radians. Where are your equations coming from? Which is correctt and why?
lol well that's embarassing. Thanks, I would've been working on that for hours. I got it now

Related to Finding acceleration of a block on the way down an incline

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How can you find the acceleration of a block on an incline?

To find the acceleration of a block on an incline, you can use the equation a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the incline.

3. What factors can affect the acceleration of a block on an incline?

The acceleration of a block on an incline can be affected by the angle of the incline, the mass of the block, and any external forces acting on the block (such as friction).

4. How do you measure the acceleration of a block on an incline?

To measure the acceleration of a block on an incline, you can use a stopwatch to measure the time it takes for the block to travel a certain distance down the incline. Then, you can use the equation a = 2d/t², where a is the acceleration, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken.

5. Can the acceleration of a block on an incline ever be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a block on an incline can be negative if the block is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of the incline's slope. This may occur if there is friction or if an external force is acting on the block in the opposite direction of the incline.