Finding acceleration from distance and time

In summary, the problem involves determining the magnitude of the acceleration of a bullet as it travels through a rifle's barrel, given its mass, length of the barrel, and time spent in the barrel. The equation to use is x(t)=1/2at^2, with the initial conditions of V(initial)=0 and x(initial)=0. The 2 in the numerator is related to the length of the barrel and should be used in the equation.
ajd2000

Homework Statement

A bullet with a mass of m=15.5 g is shot out of a rifle that has a length of L=1.02 m. The bullet spends t=0.16 s in the barrel.

Write an expression, in terms of given quantities, for the magnitude of the bullet's acceleration, a, as it travels through the rifle's barrel. You may assume the acceleration is constant throughout the motion.

So I'm supposed to write an acceleration equation using L and t but everything I try it says is wrong and the only hints are to use the given information and that there's a 2 somewhere in the numerator.

Homework Equations

I'm trying to find the equation. But I assume that V= d/t is used somehow and then a=v(final)+v(initial) / t is also used

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried just putting d/t (or L/t) where v goes in the acceleration equation but it says there's a 2 somewhere in the numerator that is also somehow related to L. So I tried squaring L and also L/t but neither of those was right and I also tried putting (2(L/t))/t which was also wrong. I only have one guess left before I just get a 0 on this part of the problem and the rest of the problem requires this formula (I tried to figure out the rest without doing this part but couldn't).

Physics news on Phys.org
In an uniform accelerated motion the space traveled by a particle at any time is given by x(t)=1/2at^2

With the initial condition: V(initial)= 0 and x(initial)=0

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Finding acceleration from distance and time

1. How do you calculate acceleration from distance and time?

To calculate acceleration from distance and time, you can use the formula:

a = (vf - vi) / t

Where, a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. Alternatively, you can also use the formula:

a = 2(d - di) / t^2

Where, d is final distance, di is initial distance, and t is time.

2. What is the unit of acceleration?

The unit of acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. Negative acceleration is also known as deceleration or retardation. It means that the object is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

4. How does distance affect acceleration?

The greater the distance traveled in a given time, the larger the acceleration will be. This is because the object is covering more ground in the same amount of time, indicating a higher speed and therefore a higher acceleration.

5. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration can be calculated by taking the total change in velocity and dividing it by the total time, while instantaneous acceleration can be calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity-time graph at a specific point.