Finding Absolute Value of Complex Fractions

In summary, to find the absolute value of the given complex expression, we first add the two fractions and then simplify. This gives us an expression in the form of 'a + ib'. From this, we can use the formula \left|\frac{a}{b}\right|= \frac{|a|}{|b|} to find the absolute value without having to eliminate the "i" in the denominator. It is important to note that there is no need to combine the two expressions into one 'a + ib' form in this case.
Petkovsky
Ok this is something i learned few years ago and I am a bit rusty.

So i have to find the absolute value of:

[tex]\frac{1 - 2i}{3 + 4i}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{i - 4}{6i - 8}[/tex]

So first i add the two fractions and i get:

[tex]\frac{(1 - 2i)(6i - 8) + (i - 4)(3 + 4i)}{(3 + 4i)(6i - 8)}[/tex]

Next i simplify and then i find the absolute value of the complex numbers above and below
Is this correct, because i have forgoten.

Physics news on Phys.org
First combine the two expressions into one 'a +ib' form.

Ok I solved it, sorry for the stupid question

Actually you don't need to "combine the two expressions into one 'a+ ib' form in order to find the absolute value and here it may be better not to.
[tex]\left|\frac{a}{b}\right|= \frac{|a|}{|b|}[/tex]
so you don't need to get rid of the "i" in the denominator.

HallsofIvy said:
Actually you don't need to "combine the two expressions into one 'a+ ib' form in order to find the absolute value and here it may be better not to.
[tex]\left|\frac{a}{b}\right|= \frac{|a|}{|b|}[/tex]
so you don't need to get rid of the "i" in the denominator.

I was emphasising on the basics sir.

Related to Finding Absolute Value of Complex Fractions

1. What is the definition of absolute value?

The absolute value of a number is its distance from zero on the number line. It is always a positive value.

2. How do you find the absolute value of a complex fraction?

To find the absolute value of a complex fraction, first simplify the fraction by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. Then, take the absolute value of the resulting fraction.

3. Can the absolute value of a complex fraction be negative?

No, the absolute value of a complex fraction is always positive. This is because the absolute value represents the distance from zero, which cannot be negative.

4. Why is finding the absolute value of complex fractions important?

Finding the absolute value of complex fractions is important because it helps us understand the magnitude or size of the fraction. It also allows us to compare different fractions and determine which one is larger or smaller.

5. Are there any special rules for finding the absolute value of complex fractions?

The process for finding the absolute value of complex fractions is the same as finding the absolute value of any other fraction. However, it is important to remember to simplify the fraction first before taking the absolute value to ensure accurate results.