Finding a Vector in Cartesian form

In summary, the vector u→ in the first quadrant with magnitude of 8 and direction of 75° in standard position can be found in Cartesian form by rounding each coordinate to one decimal place. A confirmation from a person on the internet verifies that the solution is correct, despite the previous suggestion by someone in a library who may not have been reliable.
Physics345

Homework Statement

Find u→ in Cartesian form if u→ is a vector in the first quadrant, ∣u→∣=8 and the direction of u→ is 75° in standard position. Round each of the coordinates to one decimal place.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm certain this is correct, but some guy at the library told me it was wrong, can someone please confirm if it is wrong for me.
VWYANcK.png

Attachments

• VWYANcK.png
    VWYANcK.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,430
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics345 said:
but some guy at the library told me it was wrong
Now you can say that some guy on the internet said it was right.

If the guy in the library didn't tell you why it was wrong, he wasn't of much help...

Last edited:
Likes Physics345
DrClaude said:
Now you can say that some guy on the internet said it was right.

If the guy ion the library didn't tell you why it was wrong, he wasn't of much help...

He had an explanation I just couldn't understand it, I guess he just wanted to talk. I assumed he was correct since he was an older man he wouldn't bother making it up. I guess I should have known a most of the people in that library are either homeless or on drugs, no wondering it's being shut down. Anyways I thought I would double check and make sure I'm not missing something by asking the knowledgeable and wonderful people on here! Better safe than sorry. Thanks a lot Dr. Claude.

Related to Finding a Vector in Cartesian form

1. What is a vector in Cartesian form?

A vector in Cartesian form is a mathematical representation of a vector using the x, y, and z coordinates in three-dimensional space. It is typically written as a = (x, y, z) where a is the vector and x, y, and z are its components.

2. How do you find the Cartesian form of a vector?

To find the Cartesian form of a vector, you will need the magnitude and direction of the vector. You can then use trigonometry to calculate the x, y, and z components of the vector and write it in the form a = (x, y, z).

3. What is the importance of Cartesian form in science?

Cartesian form is important in science because it allows for the precise representation of vectors in three-dimensional space. This is useful in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. Can a vector have multiple Cartesian forms?

No, a vector can only have one Cartesian form. However, it can be written in different forms depending on the coordinate system used. For example, a vector can have a Cartesian form in the x-y-z coordinate system and a different form in the polar coordinate system.

5. How is the direction of a vector represented in Cartesian form?

In Cartesian form, the direction of a vector is represented by the angles between the vector and each of the coordinate axes. These angles can be calculated using trigonometry and are typically denoted by θx, θy, and θz for the x, y, and z axes, respectively.