Finding a set which is not equinumerous with series of sets

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equinumerosity and the task of finding an infinite set that is not equinumerous with any set in the sequence \( A_n = \mathcal{P}(A_{n-1}) \). The participants consider different options and discuss the use of induction to prove the desired result. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a proposed solution involving the set $\displaystyle\bigcup\limits_n {A_n }$.
issacnewton
Hi
Let \( A_1=\mathbb{Z^+} \) and \( \forall n\in \mathbb{Z^+}\) let \( A_{n+1}=\mathcal{P}(A_n) \)

I have to come up with an infinite set which is not equinumerous with \( A_n \) for any \( n\in \mathbb{Z^+} \).
Clearly \( \mathbb{R}\) will not fit the bill since \( \mathbb{R}\;\sim\; A_2 \). So I was thinking of
the set \( \mathbb{Z^+}\times \mathbb{R} \). I will need to use induction here. But does my test function seem
right ?

Thanks
(Emo)

Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
Hi
Let \( A_1=\mathbb{Z^+} \) and \( \forall n\in \mathbb{Z^+}\) let \( A_{n+1}=\mathcal{P}(A_n) \)
I have to come up with an infinite set which is not equinumerous with \( A_n \) for any \( n\in \mathbb{Z^+} \).
Have you considered $\displaystyle\bigcup\limits_n {A_n }~? $

Ok, Plato I will try working on it. I think induction would be the way to go ...

IssacNewton said:
Ok, Plato I will try working on it. I think induction would be the way to go ...
Well $\forall n$ we know that $\left\| {A_n } \right\| \prec \left\| {A_{n + 1} } \right\|$.

So what I have to prove is that

\[ \forall\; n\in \mathbb{Z^+}\left [ A_n \nsim \bigcup_{n\in \mathbb{Z^+}} A_n\right ] \]

I figured that this is can be easily done by assuming negation and getting a contradiction that some set is equinumerous with its power set.

Related to Finding a set which is not equinumerous with series of sets

1. What does it mean for a set to be equinumerous?

Two sets are equinumerous if they have the same number of elements or cardinality. This means that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets.

2. What is a series of sets?

A series of sets is a collection of sets that are ordered in a specific way, such as in a sequence. It can also refer to a set of sets, where the elements of the set are themselves sets.

3. How do you find a set that is not equinumerous with a series of sets?

To find a set that is not equinumerous with a series of sets, you can use the Cantor's diagonal argument. This involves constructing a new set that is different from all the sets in the series, using a diagonalization method. This new set will have a different cardinality than the series of sets.

4. Can a set be equinumerous with a series of sets of different sizes?

Yes, it is possible for a set to be equinumerous with a series of sets of different sizes. This can happen if the sets in the series have the same cardinality, or if the sets in the series are arranged in a way that allows for a one-to-one correspondence with the elements of the set.

5. Why is it important to understand sets that are not equinumerous with series of sets?

Understanding sets that are not equinumerous with series of sets is important in mathematics and computer science, as it allows us to define and study different levels of infinity. It also has applications in areas such as set theory, logic, and theoretical computer science.