Finding a Ratio for Linear Recurrence Sequences

In summary, the conversation is about a linear recurrence sequence with a given recurrence relation of U_n+1 = -0.3U_n + 3 and a starting term of U_1 = 2. The problem is understanding what to do when the ratio between each term is not the same. To find the ratio, one must plug in the terms into the recurrence relation and solve for U_n+1. The terms given in the conversation are then plugged in and the resulting sequence is 2, 1.98, 2.11, 2.07,... The correct method for finding these terms is then explained and the conversation ends with a request for further clarification.
Casio1
I have a linear recurrence sequence and am having a problem understanding what to do when the ratio does not seem to be the same between each of the terms, so

Terms;

4, 1.4, 2.44, 2.024... (n = 1,2,3...)

How do I find a the ratio of these terms, and if there is none, please advise how I continue?

Kind regards

Casio:confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Casio said:
I have a linear recurrence sequence and am having a problem understanding what to do when the ratio does not seem to be the same between each of the terms, so

Terms;

4, 1.4, 2.44, 2.024... (n = 1,2,3...)

How do I find a the ratio of these terms, and if there is none, please advise how I continue?

Kind regards

Casio:confused:

Could you tell us what the recurrence relation is?

CB

CaptainBlack said:
Could you tell us what the recurrence relation is?

CB

U1 = 2, Un+1 =-0.3Un + 3 (n = 1,2,3...)

U2= U2.4+1 = -0.3(3.4) + 3 = 1.98

U3 = U1.98+1 = -0.3(2.98)+3 = 2.11

U4 = U2.11+1 = -0.3(3.11)+3 = 2.07

Four terms are;2, 1.98, 2.11, 2.07,...

Not sure whether the first method I used to work out the terms was correct, or whether the method I used here is correct, the course book does not give any examples to show how they are done, only examples to solve?

Thanks

Casio

Casio said:
U1 = 2, Un+1 =-0.3Un + 3 (n = 1,2,3...)

U2= U2.4+1 = -0.3(3.4) + 3 = 1.98

U3 = U1.98+1 = -0.3(2.98)+3 = 2.11

U4 = U2.11+1 = -0.3(3.11)+3 = 2.07

Four terms are;2, 1.98, 2.11, 2.07,...

Not sure whether the first method I used to work out the terms was correct, or whether the method I used here is correct, the course book does not give any examples to show how they are done, only examples to solve?

Thanks

Casio

What are you being asked to do with this sequence?

It obviously has an attractor at u=30/13, increasing towards it if it starts at less than 30/13 and decreasing towards it if it starts above.

CB

Hello, Casio!

You are misunderstanding the recurrence relation.

[tex]\text{Given: }\:U_{n+1} \:=\:-0.3U_n + 3,\;\;U_1 = 2[/tex]

We have:

. . . [tex]\begin{array}{cccccc}U_1 &=& 2 \\ U_2 &=& -0.3(2) + 3 &=& 2.4 \\ U_3 &=& -0.3(2.4) + 3 &=& 2.28 \\ U_4 &=& -0.3(2.28) + 3 &=& 2.316 \\ \vdots && \vdots && \vdots \end{array}[/tex]

soroban said:
Hello, Casio!

You are misunderstanding the recurrence relation.

[tex]\text{Given: }\:U_{n+1} \:=\:-0.3U_n + 3,\;\;U_1 = 2[/tex]

We have:

. . . [tex]\begin{array}{cccccc}U_1 &=& 2 \\ U_2 &=& -0.3(2) + 3 &=& 2.4 \\ U_3 &=& -0.3(2.4) + 3 &=& 2.28 \\ U_4 &=& -0.3(2.28) + 3 &=& 2.316 \\ \vdots && \vdots && \vdots \end{array}[/tex]

Thanks for setting me on the right line of thought there.

OK let me take this one step at a time so I get the proper understanding of what is actually going on with these sequences.

First, please explain what this part refers to;[tex]\text{Given:}\:U_{n+1}[/tex]

Casio

Related to Finding a Ratio for Linear Recurrence Sequences

1. What is a linear recurrence sequence?

A linear recurrence sequence is a sequence of numbers where each term is calculated based on a constant and the previous term(s) in the sequence. It follows a specific pattern and can be represented by a recursive formula.

2. How do you find the ratio for a linear recurrence sequence?

The ratio for a linear recurrence sequence can be found by dividing any term in the sequence by the previous term. This will give you a constant value, which is the ratio for the sequence. This ratio can then be used to write a recursive formula for the sequence.

3. Why is finding the ratio important for linear recurrence sequences?

The ratio is important because it allows us to write a recursive formula for the sequence. This formula can then be used to find any term in the sequence without having to manually calculate each term. It also helps us understand the pattern and behavior of the sequence.

4. What are some real-life examples of linear recurrence sequences?

Linear recurrence sequences can be found in many natural phenomena, such as the Fibonacci sequence in the growth of plants and the population growth of animals. They can also be used in financial calculations, such as compound interest and stock market trends.

5. Can the ratio for a linear recurrence sequence be negative?

Yes, the ratio for a linear recurrence sequence can be negative. This means that the sequence alternates between positive and negative terms. However, the ratio should always be a constant, regardless of its sign.