Finding a parabolic equation with unknown variabilic constants?

• Thread starter AtlasSniperma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constants
In summary, the individual is seeking assistance in converting three points (0,S), (T,100), and (T+100,100) into a parabolic equation with two constants S and T. They are given a hint that the parabola is symmetric about the line x=T+50 and that the vertex is at -b/2a=150. However, they are having trouble making the equation parabolic and are unable to find a solution even with additional hints.
AtlasSniperma
Hey folks,
Bit of a complex question here, but I'm hoping someone smarter than myself can help me figure this out. I want to make a parabolic curve that is controlled by 2 constants S and T. I know that in y = Ax2 + Bx + C
C = S
as one of the points I can give from the if statements I'm working from gives the point (0,S)

the other 2 point however make it difficult for me to convert 3 points to the equation as, well, you'll see:

(T,100)
(T+100,100)

Can someone please help explain to me how to make these three points
(0,S) (T,100) (T+100,100)
into a parabolic equation without assuming a set value for either S or T

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a quick hint: the points (T,100) and (T+100,100) tell you that the parabola is symmetric about the line x=T+50, and so your equation has the form [itex]y=c+a(x-(T+50-b))(x+(T+50+b))[/itex] for some real numbers a, b and c.

Edit: Here's maybe a better hint: the x-coordinate of the vertex of a parabola is at [itex]-b/2a[/itex], so that tells you, in this case, that [itex]-b/2a=150[/itex], and since you've already got c nailed down, you're just one equation away from specifying a unique parabola.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help. even with your "better hint"(a=1 b=-300) I can't figure out how to make it parabolic, no matter what I do its a linear line. I can give you 3 example C|T's so you can tell what I mean, but I can't figure out how to get it to go through the 3 points (point 4 it must satisfy is (2T+100, S))

Last edited:

Related to Finding a parabolic equation with unknown variabilic constants?

1. How can I find the parabolic equation if the values of the variables are unknown?

To find the parabolic equation with unknown variabilic constants, you will need to gather at least three points from the parabola. You can then plug in the coordinates of these points into the general form of a parabolic equation, y = ax^2 + bx + c, and solve for the variables a, b, and c using a system of equations.

2. Can I use any three points on the parabola to find the equation?

No, you must make sure that the three points you choose are not collinear. This means that they do not lie on the same straight line. If they do, then the equation will not be a parabola but rather a line. You can check for collinearity by calculating the slope between the three points. If the slopes are all equal, then the points are collinear.

3. How do I know if I have found the correct equation for the parabola?

You can check the accuracy of your equation by plugging in the coordinates of additional points on the parabola and seeing if the equation holds true for those points as well. The more points you can verify on the parabola, the more confident you can be in the accuracy of your equation.

4. Are there any other methods to find the parabolic equation with unknown variabilic constants?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the focus and directrix of the parabola, or using calculus to find the equation. However, these methods may require additional information about the parabola, such as the focus or the derivative at a certain point.

5. What can I do if I cannot find three points on the parabola to use in the equation?

If you are unable to find three points on the parabola, you can try to approximate the equation by using a quadratic regression model or by using a graphing calculator to create a curve of best fit. Keep in mind that these methods may not give you an exact equation, but rather an estimate.