Finding a generating function (analyticl mechanics)

In summary, to find an appropriate generating function for a given canonical transformation, you can use the invariance of Hamilton's equations under canonical transformations and the Legendre transformation to replace the Lagrangian by the corresponding Hamiltonian. This will give you a set of equations from which you can derive the generating function. There are multiple types of generating functions that can be used, depending on convenience, and it is important to replace the new coordinates with their expressions in terms of the original ones to obtain the correct generating function.
maria clara
Hi,

I don't understand, in general, how am I supposed to find an appropriate generating function to a given canonical transformation. It seems to me like a lot of guesswork. Can anyone give me some guidelines?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hamilton's equations are invariant under canonical transformations, which follows from the invariance of the Euler-Lagrange equations under Gauge and point transformations.

ie

[itex]L (q_i,\dot{q}_i,t) - \mathcal{L} (Q_i,\dot{Q}_i,t) = \frac{dF_1}{dt}[/itex]

where F_1 is an arbitrary function of time and generalized coordinates.

Using the Legendre transformation to replace the Lagrangians by corresponding Hamiltonians we obtain

[itex]p_i dq_i - P_i dQ_i + (H + \mathcal{H})dt = dF_1[/itex]

from which the equations for the canonical transformation can be derived:

[itex]p_i = \frac{\partial F_1}{\partial q_i}[/itex]
[itex]Q_i = -\frac{\partial F_1}{\partial P_i}[/itex]
[itex]\mathcal{H} = H + \frac{\patial F_1}{\partial t}[/itex].

There are three other generating functions you can obtain by applying a Legendre transformation on F_1 wrt the new coordinates. Note that conjugate variables always appear in the same equation. The choice depends on convenience to the problem.

You now have everything you need in principle to determine the generating function. If for example you are given a transformation [itex]q = q(Q,P), \; p = p(Q,P) [/itex] which is independent of time, then you can try a type one generating function and replace dq by its expansion in terms of dP and dQ. The condition that dF be an exact differential will give you a pair of PDEs to be solved. Once you have F expressed in terms of Q and P, replace these by their expressions in terms of q and p to get the generating function F_1.

Related to Finding a generating function (analyticl mechanics)

1. What is a generating function in analytical mechanics?

A generating function is a mathematical function that describes the relationship between a set of independent variables and a set of dependent variables in a system. In analytical mechanics, it is used to find the equations of motion for a given system and can be used to determine the canonical transformations that preserve the form of Hamilton's equations.

2. How is a generating function different from a normal function?

A generating function is different from a normal function in that it involves a transformation between two sets of variables rather than just mapping one set of variables to another. It also has specific properties, such as being a solution to the Hamilton-Jacobi equation, that make it useful in analytical mechanics.

3. What are some common types of generating functions used in analytical mechanics?

Some common types of generating functions used in analytical mechanics include the generating function for canonical transformations, the Hamilton's characteristic function, and the Hamilton-Jacobi generating function. Each type of generating function has its own specific use and properties.

4. How do you find a generating function for a given system?

To find a generating function for a given system, one must first determine the canonical variables and equations of motion for the system. From there, the appropriate generating function can be chosen based on the specific properties and needs of the system. The generating function can then be solved for using mathematical techniques such as the method of characteristics or separation of variables.

5. What are the applications of generating functions in analytical mechanics?

Generating functions have a wide range of applications in analytical mechanics. They can be used to find the equations of motion for a given system, determine canonical transformations, and simplify the solution of complex systems. They are also used in many other branches of physics, such as quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics, to describe the relationships between variables and make calculations more efficient.