Creating a Hawking-style Rap with Calculus: Music and Voice Editing Tips

In summary, the conversation is about a group of friends trying to create a rap song about calculus using a Stephen Hawking-sounding voice. They have already figured out the voice part, but are struggling with adding background music and merging tracks. They discuss different software options for creating and mixing the music and also mention a website where similar rap songs exist. One person in the conversation shares their own project and asks for advice on creating the voice. The original poster shares the software they used and suggests downloading it from a website. The conversation ends with a confirmation that the rap song turned out well.
jb
i don't know if this would be better under tech or even math...

for an end of the year calc project, me and some friends are trying to get a stephen hawking-sounding voice to rap a little about calculus. so far we got the voice part outputted to an mp3. it doesn't quite sound like him a la mc hawking, but it's close enough.

here's where we're having trouble: we're trying to get some background music in, like beats and such. is there a way to filter voices out of pre-existing music, so we can just swap voices? i found some software to create the actual music tracks, but that seems too hard. also, is there a way to merge two or more tracks (like one voice track and a music track) so the play at the same time? any outstanding software you'd recommend for this?

Science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by jb
is there a way to filter voices out of pre-existing music, so we can just swap voices?
Technically possible, but difficult unless you have a multitrack recording and mixer.

is there a way to merge two or more tracks (like one voice track and a music track) so the play at the same time? any outstanding software you'd recommend for this?
This is possible by either playing both tracks at the same time, or mixing the 2 tracks into 1.
I don't have S/W to recommend at the moment, try searching google with keywords: ("audio" OR "sound" OR "music"), ("mixing" OR "mixer"), "software"

Strangely, such rap exists www.mchawking.com

Let's see. If you want to create the music, I'd suggest Fruity Loops. It's fairly simple. And for editing, Sound Forge is good.

Any half decent sound editor will mix two tracks.

And for the Stephen hawking voice, look for a text to speach program. The voice is pretty standard I think. A friend of mine has a Mac G3 that sounds like him.

ok, right after i posted last, i got everything figured out. like i said before, i had the hawk voice figured out. i didn't have much luck with fruityloops and stuff like that. eventually i found some instrumental stuff ("What happened to that boy", by Birdman), threw it through a mixer, and out came an incredible track.

It was officially "released" today, about 3 hours ago, eventually i'll get a download set up. if you dig calculus, stevo hawking, and/or computer generated rap you should take a listen.

short preview:
you say all you need is remedial mathematics
well dats nuthin compared to my mad calc antics
yo skillz stop after two plus one and two plus two
i bust caps in arithmatic, foo

I know this thread is really old, but I was hoping jb could tell me what software he used to create the voice & where he got it, because I want to do a couple songs like that on my album I'm getting ready to release.

btw, if you're interested, my site is http://e.1asphost.com/sharkdarapper/Index.htm

you will probably need to install winamp to play the audio clips (they're .ogg files). The microphone from the audio for performance was just a cheap one on a videocamera, so the sound quality won't be great...but it's worth a listen, anyways.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer

Last edited by a moderator:
wow... this is old

i used textaloud mp3 for the voice and acoustica (i think) to mix it with the music.

i don't have links for either, but try download.com

thanks...I'll check it out. So it actually ended up sounding decently like rap? (well, in the MC Hawking sort of way) :D

1. How can calculus be incorporated into a rap song?

Calculus can be incorporated into a rap song by using mathematical concepts, such as derivatives and integrals, as metaphors in the lyrics. The beat and flow of the rap can also be structured to reflect the rhythm and patterns of calculus equations.

2. What are some tips for editing the music in a Hawking-style rap?

Some tips for editing the music in a Hawking-style rap include using a slow tempo to reflect the slower speech of Stephen Hawking, incorporating electronic and futuristic sounds, and using repetition and looping to create a hypnotic effect.

3. How can I enhance my voice for a Hawking-style rap?

To enhance your voice for a Hawking-style rap, you can use vocal effects such as autotune, vocoder, and distortion to mimic the robotic sound of Stephen Hawking's voice. You can also experiment with different accents and vocal inflections to add depth to your performance.

4. Do I need to have a strong understanding of calculus to create a Hawking-style rap?

While a strong understanding of calculus can certainly help in creating a Hawking-style rap, it is not necessary. With some research and creativity, anyone can incorporate mathematical concepts into their lyrics and create a unique rap song.

5. Can this type of rap be used as a teaching tool for calculus?

Yes, a Hawking-style rap with calculus can be a fun and engaging way to introduce students to complex mathematical concepts. It can also help students remember and understand these concepts through the use of catchy lyrics and a memorable beat.