Finding a Factor's Contribution to An Average of a Product

In summary, the conversation discusses the object X and its components A, B, and C, which are random values. The speaker is interested in understanding the role of A in the final answer for X and suggests using Monte Carlo simulations to investigate. The variables are independent and the speaker also considers their second moment, positivity, and bounds. They also mention a method using '=rand()-0.5' to compare different averages, sigmas, and histograms.
Spanky1996
Say that there is an object

[tex] X = <ABC> = (A_1B_1C_1+A_2B_2C_2+...+A_NB_NC_N)/N[/tex]

Is there any way to say what [tex] X_A [/tex] is? Or what exactly the A term in all of these terms contributed to X? Or is that info pretty much washed out in this type of ensemble average?

Oh, and A, B and C are random values. I will say, in my problem they do differ by about an order of magnitude from each other.

Thanks for any insights.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Spanky1996 said:
Is there any way to say what ##X_A## is
First you have to define it ...

Next you are interested in the probability distributions of your stochastic variables. Are the variables independent ?

Spanky1996 said:
they do differ by about an order of magnitude from each other
I think that's less interesting: you can divide each variable by a scale factor without doing much damage.

It's fun playing with Monte Carlo's in Excel: make three columns of a thousand ' =rand() ' cells each and make a histogram of the products
Look at average and stdev for each column
Compare with ' =rand() - 0.5 '

Likes Spanky1996
BvU said:
First you have to define it ...

Next you are interested in the probability distributions of your stochastic variables. Are the variables independent ?I think that's less interesting: you can divide each variable by a scale factor without doing much damage.

It's fun playing with Monte Carlo's in Excel: make three columns of a thousand ' =rand() ' cells each and make a histogram of the products
Look at average and stdev for each column
Compare with ' =rand() - 0.5 '
I am actually doing monte Carlo simulations, bravo.

I guess defining it is my issue. I'm not sure how one can define/examine what role the set of A's had in whatever the final answer is for X.

The variables are independent.

I was thinking of doing something similar to what you suggest in your last paragraph. I don't understand the last bit though '=rand()-0.5' what is that?

Thank you for your interest!

Spanky1996 said:
'=rand()-0.5' what is that
Gives a different average (of course) and sigma (!) and a different histogram :smile:

what else can you tell us about these random variables-- Is there a second moment?

also I typically wonder: are they positive valued? are they bounded?

Related to Finding a Factor's Contribution to An Average of a Product

1. What is the purpose of finding a factor's contribution to an average of a product?

The purpose of finding a factor's contribution to an average of a product is to determine the impact of a specific factor on the overall average of a product. This can help in identifying which factors have the most influence on the average and can be used to make informed decisions about the product.

2. How is the contribution of a factor calculated?

The contribution of a factor is calculated by taking the difference between the average with the factor and the average without the factor. This difference is then divided by the overall average to get a percentage contribution.

3. Can finding a factor's contribution to an average of a product help in improving the product?

Yes, finding a factor's contribution to an average of a product can help in improving the product by identifying which factors have the most impact on the average. This information can be used to make changes or improvements to those factors, resulting in an overall improvement in the product.

4. Is it necessary to consider all factors when finding a factor's contribution to an average of a product?

No, it is not necessary to consider all factors when finding a factor's contribution to an average of a product. It is important to focus on the factors that have the most impact on the average, as considering too many factors can make the analysis complicated and less accurate.

5. How can the results of finding a factor's contribution to an average of a product be interpreted?

The results of finding a factor's contribution to an average of a product can be interpreted as the percentage of the average that can be attributed to a specific factor. This can help in understanding the importance of each factor and can guide decision-making processes related to the product.