Finding a Custom Sprocket for an Electric Motor Bike

In summary, the sprocket is for attaching the electric motor to the bike chain and is 2/16" thick, from inside one half circle to the other half circle is 6/16", the width between the flat sides is 5/16" and from the very edge of one tooth to the other is 1". It is made by Lida Machinery CO. LTD and says "Dicta Brand" on it.
hobbles
I have an electric motor that I want to use with a bike chain and not the small chain that is already on it. Using cad and getting a custom sprocket made might be the way to go, but finding a site that sells them would be more than likely be cheaper. I found that it is called a dual-d boreand is 2/16" thick, from inside one half circle to the other half circle is 6/16", the width between the flat sides is 5/16" and from the very edge of one tooth to the other is 1" but I would like it to be 2" on the one I am going to buy. Sorry if I didnt give enough information but I never really work with gears and things because of how little I know about them and usually go with belts but everything is set up for a bike chain so any help would be great.
2010-10-15_12-34-47_617.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Hobbles,
I think your best bet is to attach a soft neoprene wheel on the end of the motor shaft.
Something like a skateboard wheel would do. Attach the motor behind the seat post of the bicycle so the neoprene wheel is pressing against the top of the rear tire. (make sure the rotation of the motor will turn the rear tire forward)
Then, by choosing different sizes of neoprene wheels you can find out what is ridable for your weight and style of riding. That is taking into consideration the torque of your motor, your nicad battery. With the above setup you'll have the gear ratio that you'll need if you decide to sink money into a sprocket and chain system. The gear ratio being the neoprene wheel you finally decide on and the outside diameter of the rear bicycle tire.
Also there are battery conserving 'grip' throttle type devices sold for trolling motors (in pawn shops). That might be a good choice later.

Hobbles,
I reread your post and now realize that you might not be talking about building a motorized bicycle. In that case I have a sprocket made for a shaft. Let me give you the specs and the manufacturer.
The hole in the sprocket for the shaft is regular keyed ( like most pulleys).
Requires a motor shaft size diameter of 5/16 inch
Total inside depth of shaft hole is 7/16 inch.
It is a 22 tooth sprocket made for a bicycle chain.
From about where the chain would rest in the sprocket, from top pin of chain to bottom pin of chain, exactly 3 1/2 inches.
This is an electroplated sprocket (color between copper and brown).
It is manufactured by Lida Machinery CO. LTD
It says "Dicta Brand" on it.
Also it has a ratchet type device inside, so the sprocket will only engage one way.
Once there is nothing driving it, it freewheels.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.

Related to Finding a Custom Sprocket for an Electric Motor Bike

1. How do I know which size custom sprocket I need for my electric motor bike?

The size of the custom sprocket you need for your electric motor bike will depend on several factors such as the motor size, wheel size, and desired speed. It is important to consult with a mechanic or refer to the manufacturer's guidelines to determine the appropriate size for your specific bike.

2. Can I use any type of sprocket for my electric motor bike?

No, it is important to use a sprocket specifically designed for electric motor bikes. These sprockets are made to withstand the high torque and speed of electric motors and are often lighter in weight to improve performance.

3. How do I choose the material for my custom sprocket?

The material for your custom sprocket should be chosen based on your riding style and budget. Steel sprockets are durable and affordable, while aluminum sprockets are lightweight and offer better performance. Titanium sprockets are the most expensive but are the lightest and strongest option.

4. How often do I need to replace my custom sprocket?

The frequency of replacing your custom sprocket will depend on your riding habits and the quality of the sprocket. It is recommended to regularly inspect your sprocket for wear and tear and replace it as needed to ensure optimal performance.

5. Can I install a custom sprocket on my electric motor bike myself?

It is recommended to have a professional mechanic install your custom sprocket to ensure proper installation and avoid any potential damage to your bike. However, if you have experience and the necessary tools, you can install the sprocket yourself by following the manufacturer's instructions.