Finding a current in a circuit with a dependent source

In summary, the conversation discusses using KVL instead of KCL to find the value of I_s in a circuit. The problem arises when dealing with dependent voltage sources and the concept of supermesh is introduced as a solution. The conversation also touches on the application of mesh analysis to circuits with both current and voltage sources.
TheCanadian

Homework Statement

My problem is in the images attached. Essentially, I just want to find ## I_s ##.

Homework Equations

## V = IR ##[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I already have the original solution using KCL, which tells me that ## I_s = 4 A## and that ## I = 1 A##, but I was trying to do it using KVL instead. After trying (as shown in the image), I keep getting a different answer. Do you see any errors in my methods? Is there anything extra I have to do when dealing with dependent voltage sources like in this example?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 5.27.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 5.27.40 PM.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 421
  • Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 5.27.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 5.27.09 PM.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible that you've conflated the current ##I## used to control the dependent source with the loop current in the third loop?

Note that the branch current through the 12 Ω resistor is made up of the two loop current that pass through it.

gneill said:
Is it possible that you've conflated the current ##I## used to control the dependent source with the loop current in the third loop?

Note that the branch current through the 12 Ω resistor is made up of the two loop current that pass through it.

Okay. Didn't I account for the fact that there are two currents through that branch by subtracting the mutual voltages in [3]? Is the 3rd loop's current not simply I in this case?

If the third loop mesh current is ##I##, then ##I_s = I##, but the current in the branch (that is the current through the 12 Ohm resistor) is ##I - I_2##

gneill said:
If the third loop mesh current is ##I##, then ##I_s = I##, but the current in the branch (that is the current through the 12 Ohm resistor) is ##I - I_2##

Ok, I'll try it again. Also, when dealing with circuits involving both current and voltage sources, either dependent or independent, how exactly can one apply mesh analysis? Since you end up having to ascribe a voltage to the current sources, but the resistance of one should be infinite.

TheCanadian said:
Ok, I'll try it again. Also, when dealing with circuits involving both current and voltage sources, either dependent or independent, how exactly can one apply mesh analysis? Since you end up having to ascribe a voltage to the current sources, but the resistance of one should be infinite.
You'll learn about something called a supermesh. Essentially you draw a loop surrounding the current source, not passing through it, and add a constraint equation that links the two "merged" mesh's currents with the current source that they pass through.

gneill said:
You'll learn about something called a supermesh. Essentially you draw a loop surrounding the current source, not passing through it, and add a constraint equation that links the two "merged" mesh's currents with the current source that they pass through.

I'll certainly look into it. Is this supposed to work for dependent voltage sources, too?

TheCanadian said:
I'll certainly look into it. Is this supposed to work for dependent voltage sources, too?
The supermesh is generally invoked to deal with current sources (dependent or independent) that border loops. Voltage sources that border loops don't pose a problem since they provide voltage values for the KVL equations.

A current source that does not border loops is trivial to deal with, since it effectively "solves" the mesh current for the loop it belongs to.

Related to Finding a current in a circuit with a dependent source

1. How does a dependent source affect the current in a circuit?

The current in a circuit with a dependent source is determined by the behavior of the dependent source. Depending on the type of dependent source, the current may be directly proportional, inversely proportional, or have a more complex relationship with the source.

2. Can a dependent source change the direction of current flow in a circuit?

Yes, a dependent source can change the direction of current flow in a circuit. For example, a negative dependent voltage source can cause current to flow in the opposite direction compared to a positive dependent voltage source.

3. How do you calculate the current in a circuit with multiple dependent sources?

To calculate the current in a circuit with multiple dependent sources, you will need to use Kirchhoff's current law (KCL) and Ohm's law. First, apply KCL at each node in the circuit to determine the total current flowing into or out of the node. Then, use Ohm's law to calculate the individual currents through each branch of the circuit.

4. Can a dependent source have a negative current?

Yes, a dependent source can have a negative current. This can occur when the dependent source is connected in such a way that it opposes the direction of current flow in the circuit. For example, a negative dependent current source can produce a negative current if it is connected in parallel with a positive independent current source.

5. How does a dependent source affect the overall resistance of a circuit?

A dependent source does not have a direct effect on the overall resistance of a circuit. However, the current produced by the dependent source can influence the overall resistance of the circuit, as the total resistance of a circuit is determined by the ratio of voltage to current.