Finding a Criterion for Allowed Reactions in ABC Toy Theory

In summary, the question is asking for a criterion to determine whether a given diagram is an allowed reaction in an ABC toy theory. This criterion can be expressed as each identical external line being attached to separate vertices, meaning that no vertex can have two A's, two B's, or two C's attached to it. Another approach is to find a relation between the number of external lines and internal lines of each type and the total number of vertices.
Someone1987

Homework Statement

In an ABC toy theory, the only allowed vertex is one that couples A, B and C. Thus there are no AAA, ABB, ACC...ect vertices allowed. My question is suppose a diagram has na external A lines, nb external B lines, and nc external C lines. Develop a simple criterion for determining whether it is an allowed reaction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just a little unsure of what the question wants. Does it want a mathematical formula or just a statement in plain english. I don't see a way of developing a mathematical formula that can encompass all the possible diagrams (decays and scattering) one can draw. The best criterion I can think of is that each identical external line must be attached to separate vertices. Another way of saying this is that no vertex can have two A's, two B,'s or two C's attached to it. Although this is correct, it doesn't seem like its the best criterion one can develop. I'd appreciate any additional insights anyone can provide. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Either a formula or a statement in plain English is probably acceptable.

Here's a way to think about it: let i_a, i_b, and i_c be the number of internal lines of each type. Can you find a relation between n_a, i_a, and the number of vertices v?

Related to Finding a Criterion for Allowed Reactions in ABC Toy Theory

1. What is ABC toy theory Feynman rules?

ABC toy theory Feynman rules refer to a simplified version of Feynman rules, which are mathematical tools used in theoretical physics to calculate the probability of different particle interactions. The ABC toy theory was developed by physicist Richard Feynman to demonstrate the principles of Feynman rules in a more accessible way.

2. How does ABC toy theory relate to quantum mechanics?

ABC toy theory is based on quantum mechanics, which is the study of subatomic particles and their behavior. The ABC toy theory uses simple toy models to demonstrate the concepts of quantum mechanics and how particles interact with each other.

3. What is the purpose of using ABC toy theory Feynman rules?

The purpose of using ABC toy theory Feynman rules is to provide a simplified and intuitive way to understand particle interactions and calculate their probabilities. This allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of particles in different scenarios.

4. Are ABC toy theory Feynman rules accurate?

While ABC toy theory Feynman rules may not be as precise as the full Feynman rules used in theoretical physics, they can still provide accurate predictions for simple interactions between particles. They are a useful tool for understanding the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

5. How can I learn more about ABC toy theory Feynman rules?

There are many online resources and books available that explain ABC toy theory Feynman rules in more detail. You can also consult with a physicist or take a course in quantum mechanics to gain a deeper understanding of this topic.