Finding a basis for a Vector Space

In summary, this conversation explains that the basis for a vector space is $\{0,x,x^2\}$, but this does not work under the scalar multiplication definition. The solution is to use the addition and scalar multiplication defined for the vector space.
Dethrone
View attachment 4284

4b). How can I find a basis? I was thinking of the standard basis $\{1,x,x^2\}$, but that doesn't work under the scalar multiplication definition in the vector space.

EDIT: I think it is $\{0,x,x^2\}$ and we take $1$ to be the $0$ vector!
$a(0)+b(x)+c(x^2)=1$ implies $a=b=c=0$.
It is strange, because I've done nearly all the questions in the book and I never encountered a question like this one.

Attachments

• 2014 #4.PNG
    2014 #4.PNG
    13.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rido12 said:
EDIT: I think it is $\{0,x,x^2\}$ and we take $1$ to be the $0$ vector!
$a(0)+b(x)+c(x^2)=1$ implies $a=b=c=0$.
It is strange, because I've done nearly all the questions in the book and I never encountered a question like this one.

Hey Rido!
You've got it. (Nod)
How is it different?

Hey ILS :D

Thanks for the reply!

It is different because in my book, vector spaces and linear independence are in different sections. So most of the time, I have only tried $a(1)+b(x)+c(x^2)=0$ where I set it to $0$, not $1$, and I would solve it under regular addition and multiplication.

This time:
$a(0)+b(x)+c(x^2)=1$
$a(0)-a+1+bx-b+1+cx^2-c+1=1$
$-a+bx-b+cx^2-c=0$

$\implies a=0$ (when $x=1$)
$\implies b=0$ (when $x=-1$)
And finally, $c=0$.

Rido12 said:
It is different because in my book, vector spaces and linear independence are in different sections. So most of the time, I have only tried $a(1)+b(x)+c(x^2)=0$ where I set it to $0$, not $1$, and I would solve it under regular addition and multiplication.

So it's a good exercise! (Mmm)

It alerts us to the fact that the addition and scalar multiplication defined for the vector space have to be used whenever checking anything.
Btw, to avoid confusion, a better notation for linear independence would be:
$$a \odot (0) \quad\oplus\quad b \odot (x) \quad\oplus\quad c \odot (x^2) \quad=\quad 0_{\mathbb P_2} \quad=\quad 1$$
(Nerd)

Related to Finding a basis for a Vector Space

1. What is a basis for a vector space?

A basis for a vector space is a set of vectors that span the entire space and are linearly independent. This means that any vector in the space can be written as a unique combination of the basis vectors.

2. How do you find a basis for a vector space?

To find a basis for a vector space, you can use the following steps:

1. Start with a set of vectors that span the space.
  2. If the vectors are linearly independent, they form a basis.
  3. If the vectors are linearly dependent, remove any redundant vectors until you have a set of linearly independent vectors.

3. Why is finding a basis important?

Finding a basis for a vector space is important because it helps us understand the structure of the space and allows us to easily represent and manipulate vectors in the space. It also allows us to solve linear systems of equations and perform other calculations in a more efficient manner.

4. Can a vector space have more than one basis?

Yes, a vector space can have more than one basis. However, all bases for a given vector space will have the same number of vectors, known as the dimension of the space.

5. How do you know if a set of vectors is a basis for a vector space?

A set of vectors is a basis for a vector space if it satisfies two conditions:

1. The vectors span the entire space.
  2. The vectors are linearly independent.