Exploring Alternative Photon Models: A Scientist's Perspective

In summary, you are suggesting that an experiment be performed to see if time-bomb models are accurate. You are also suggesting that starlight be tested.
wespe
(ok. I haven't given up with the relativity wrong thread. This is just something I'm thinking on meanwhile). Also please excuse my english as it is not my mother tounge.

ok, for a moment let's forget about the wavelike properties of light (I had some ideas to explain light propagation like sound propagation in air, which involved a photon gas aether).

so, first, there's the simple bullet model. It is possible to stop the bullet after it has left the source and before it reaches the destination because of its finite speed. We normally assume this is so with light.

Now suppose the speed is infinite, but the delay between emitted and received light remains the same. A time-bomb model could explain this. That is, the bullet hits the destination instantly, but explodes after a delay proportional to the distance. In this model, it is not possible to stop the bullet once it has left its source. So we need an experiment to check this. And there is this mirror placed on the moon which laser beams are being sent to and received back from. Would we have not noticed if there was such a time-bomb effect? Maybe. I don't know if anyone tried to block light and check if it was really blocked or not, but for a noticable effect this must be done at some mid point between mirror and source, after the light is emitted. Satellites in orbit can be used. I'm suggesting that such an experiment must be performed at once. (but of course, I'm lazy and shouldn't be involved. I'll appreciate if any of you have some connections to some observatory or NASA:smile:)

ok, next model. This one is similar to the simple bullet model, except the bullet is connected to the source by a rubber string, and its has double speed. Once this bullet hits the destination, a second bullet at the other end of the string is released, and they explode on collision. Now, if we try to block light at a mid point, the string would be broken and then what? Maybe two half-photons(?) would be detected at both source and destination or something. My point is, this effect is again unnoticable if we're not deliberately looking for it, so someone should.

There can be lot of models like this. For example a combination of simple bullet and time-bomb, where the speed is not infinite but still greater than c, and the delay timing is appropriately compansated. Likewise with the rubber string model, various speeds are possible greater than c up to infinite for the first bullet. Or, there can more than two bullets involved.

Ok, that's all for now, thank you for your time. I wanted to share these ideas.

Science news on Phys.org
wespe said:
So we need an experiment to check this. And there is this mirror placed on the moon which laser beams are being sent to and received back from. Would we have not noticed if there was such a time-bomb effect? Maybe. I don't know if anyone tried to block light and check if it was really blocked or not, but for a noticable effect this must be done at some mid point between mirror and source, after the light is emitted. Satellites in orbit can be used. I'm suggesting that such an experiment must be performed at once. (but of course, I'm lazy and shouldn't be involved. I'll appreciate if any of you have some connections to some observatory or NASA:smile:)

You are carrying out this experiment every time you hold your hand up to keep the sun out of your eyes.

Matt

wespe said:
Yes, but there IS an afterimage whenever I do that. Surely it has something to do with the eye or brain, but how do you know a very small part of it is not due to a light phenomenon? :smile:

Ok, how about starlight then? :wink:

Matt

Last edited:

What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle that carries energy and has zero mass. It is a type of boson and is the quantum of electromagnetic radiation, such as light.

How do photon models explain the behavior of light?

Photon models explain the behavior of light by treating it as a stream of particles, each with a specific energy and frequency. These particles, or photons, interact with matter and can be absorbed, emitted, or scattered, resulting in the observable properties of light.

What are the limitations of photon models?

One of the main limitations of photon models is their inability to fully explain the wave-like behavior of light, such as interference and diffraction. Additionally, photon models do not account for the gravitational effects of light, which are better explained by the theory of general relativity.

How are photon models used in practical applications?

Photon models have many practical applications, including in the fields of telecommunications, solar energy, and medical imaging. They are also used in technologies such as lasers, LEDs, and optical fibers.

What are some current challenges in understanding photon models?

One of the biggest challenges in understanding photon models is reconciling them with other theories, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. Additionally, there is ongoing research to better understand the nature of photons and their interactions with matter.