Finding 2D coordinates in different frames

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an inertial frame and how it relates to the motion of objects in different frames. The conversation also includes a problem related to a frictionless puck being kicked in a specific direction and the coordinates of the puck in different frames. The frames S and S' are determined to be inertial, while S'' is not. The conversation ends with a discussion on the importance of showing sound reasoning and including key words in answers to receive full marks.
futurphy
Hi guys, i need help for homework, it seems easy, but i can't do it:cry:, no calculation to do only writing 2D coordinates in different frames.

Homework Statement

The hallmark of an inertial frame is that any object which is subject to zero net force will travel in a straight line in a constant speed. to illustrate this, consider the following: I am standing on a level floor at the origin of an inertial frame S and kick a frictionless puck due north across the floor. (a) write down the x and y coordinates of the puck as functions of time as seen from my inertial frame. (Use x and y pointing east and north respectively). Now consider two more observers, the first at rest in a frame S' that travels with constant velocity v due to east relative to S, the second at rest in a frame S'' that travels with constant acceleration due east relative to S at that same moment). (b) Find the coordinates x' and y' of the puck and describe the puck's path as seen from S'. (c) Do the same for S''. Which of the frames is inertial?

2. The attempt at a solution

for the frame S : x(t) = 0 and y(t) = v(0).t

for the frame S' : looks like a translation from S

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Do you think you'd be expected to use Lorentz transformations or is classical relativity OK (would you get the same answer?)

Which frames do you think are inertial?

I am not expected to use neither Lorentz transformations nor classical relativity, this is a classical mechanics problem. I think S and S' are inertial and S'' is not, because i think the first law of Newton is only true in S and S'.

The time in classical mechanics is absolute

futurphy said:
I am not expected to use neither Lorentz transformations nor classical relativity,
You have to use one or the other.
this is a classical mechanics problem.
Classical relativity it is then.
It is a matter of working out the v(t) in each frame ... you can do that by breaking the motion into components and adding/subtracting vectors.
I think S and S' are inertial and S'' is not, because i think the first law of Newton is only true in S and S'.
OK - you have your head on right then. The trick to to show this mathematically.

You got frame S OK - only I'd call the speed of the puck u rather than v(0) to avoid confusion with the other frames (unless you happen to know that u=v).

Frame S' has a constant relative velocity v perpendicular to the motion of the puck... so an observer stationary in S' will see the puck go in both x and y directions.

S'' is just the same as S' except there is a constant acceleration involved.
You know a kinematic equation for this.

The real trick is relating these descriptions to the "Hallmark of an inertial frame".
It is seldom good enough to write down the correct answers, you have to show the marker that you got those answers using sound reasoning in order to pick up all the marks.

Trick: Your final answer should include the words of the question.

Thank you Simon Bridge you've been very helpful.

Related to Finding 2D coordinates in different frames

1. How do I find the 2D coordinates in different frames?

Finding 2D coordinates in different frames involves using mathematical transformations to convert coordinates from one frame of reference to another. This can include translations, rotations, and scaling.

2. What is the difference between global and local coordinates?

Global coordinates are relative to a fixed origin, while local coordinates are relative to a specific point or object. In the context of finding 2D coordinates, global coordinates would refer to the overall frame of reference, while local coordinates would be specific to a particular object or frame.

3. Can I use the same method for finding 2D coordinates in both 2D and 3D spaces?

Yes, the same mathematical transformations can be used to find coordinates in both 2D and 3D spaces. However, the number of transformations needed may vary depending on the number of dimensions involved.

4. How do I determine the correct transformation to use for finding 2D coordinates?

The correct transformation to use will depend on the specific scenario and the type of frame of reference being used. For example, if two frames are parallel, a simple translation may be all that is needed. If the frames are at an angle, a rotation transformation may be necessary.

5. Are there any tools or software that can help with finding 2D coordinates in different frames?

Yes, there are various software programs and tools available that can assist with finding and converting coordinates in different frames. Some examples include MATLAB, Python, and specialized transformation calculators.