Findiing internal resitance trouble

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internal
In summary, when the electric starting motor is turned on, the ammeter reading drops to 12.0 A and the lights dim somewhat.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I keep missing his problem! and i only have 2 more trys...
When the lights of a car are switched on, an ammeter in series with them reads 14.0 A and a voltmeter connected across them reads 12.0 V (Figure 27-48). When the electric starting motor is turned on, the ammeter reading drops to 12.0 A and the lights dim somewhat.
Here is the image: http://www.webassign.net/hrw/hrw7_27-48.gif

Fig. 27-48

(a) If the internal resistance of the battery is 0.050 and that of the ammeter is negligible, what is the emf of the battery?
wrong check mark V
(b) What is the current through the starting motor when the lights are on?
A

I just thought i could find the EMF of the battery by finding the Potential difference between 2 points i made, a and b, i put a point a right before the resistor and right after the positve pole of the batery i put b. So here is what my equation looks like:
Va - RI + E = Vb;
now they say somthing about V being 12 V, does that mean
Va-Vb = 12?
I tried
E = RI - 12 = -11.6 which was wrong then i tried to just say screw the Va-Vb and say
E = rI
E = .7 also wrong! ahh!

Physics news on Phys.org
Vb-Va=12 because the current flows from b to a so the potential at b is higher than a. so emf =12.7 V

Awesome thank you, that wokred out great. Now if i wanted to find What is the current through the starting motor when the lights are on? I just drew a circuit and added up the following: EMF - rI = 0; I = 12.7/r; But this makes no sense because they give me the fact that, "When the electric starting motor is turned on, the ammeter reading drops to 12.0 A and the lights dim somewhat." So I'm confused on what they are hinting at.

from the previous part, find the resistance of the light,
r_light = v_light/i_light.
continue with the second part:
12 A is the current flowing throught the light, you know its resistance from above. find the voltage across it.
now, this voltage must be the same as the voltage across the battery terminals since the are parallel.
so, emf - 0.050i = the voltage across the battery.(use the above value). i the current flowing through the battery.
the sum of the current flowing through the light and the starting motor must equal to this value. find the answer then.

Related to Findiing internal resitance trouble

1. What is internal resistance and why is it important to find trouble with it?

Internal resistance is the opposition to the flow of current within a battery or other electrical source. It is important to find trouble with it because a high internal resistance can lead to decreased performance and efficiency of the device.

2. How can I determine the internal resistance of a battery or electrical source?

The internal resistance of a battery or electrical source can be determined by using a voltmeter to measure the voltage drop across a known load, and then using Ohm's Law (R = V/I) to calculate the resistance. This process can be repeated with different loads to get a more accurate measurement.

3. What are some common signs of internal resistance trouble in a device?

Some common signs of internal resistance trouble in a device include reduced battery life, decreased power output, and increased heat production. These symptoms can also indicate other issues, so it is important to test the internal resistance to confirm the cause.

4. How can I troubleshoot internal resistance issues in a device?

To troubleshoot internal resistance issues in a device, you can use a multimeter to measure the internal resistance directly. If the resistance is higher than expected, it may indicate a problem with the battery or other components. You can also try replacing the battery or performing other maintenance on the device to improve its internal resistance.

5. Can internal resistance be fixed or improved?

In some cases, internal resistance can be improved by performing maintenance on the device or replacing the battery. However, in other cases, the internal resistance may be a characteristic of the device and cannot be changed. It is important to regularly test and monitor the internal resistance to ensure optimal performance of the device.