What is the student's speed at the bottom of the inclined plane?

• Thread starter ConfusedStudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, there was a discussion about a physics problem involving a student sliding down an inclined plane with a constant retarding friction force. There was a disagreement about the solution, with one person providing a formula for the final velocity assuming an initial velocity of 0, and another person pointing out that the student's mass was missing from the equation. A third person suggested using the conservation of energy to solve the problem, and the final piece of information, the student's mass of 120kg, was provided. The conversation ended with a request for the final velocity to be solved.
ConfusedStudent
Hi, everyone...we just got a test back and I'm correcting my problems so I have the right answers for the final...

An inert physics student slides down a plane inclined at 20 degrees above the horizontal. He feels a constant retarding friction force of 100 N as he slides 10 m down the plane. What is the student's speed at the bottom of the plane?

I'm not going to bother to show you guys my work since I got the question wrong :(

Thanks all

Physics news on Phys.org
There's not enough information to answer this.

Assuming the skater started out with 0 initial velocity then the final velocity is:

v = 2sqrt(100μk)

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
Assuming the skater started out with 0 initial velocity then the final velocity is:

v = 2sqrt(100μk)

*blink*
We know that the retarding force is 100 N but have no idea what the student's mass is, so we have no idea about inertia or gravity. I'd like to see the work for this one.

Missing information:
Student's mass

Also, is that 10m vertical drop, or 10m along the slide?

Nate,

I concur. You also need to know either the mass, or the coefficient of kinetic friction.

The easiest way to solve the problem is via th conservation of energy:

kinetic energy at the bottom = potential energy lost in the fall - work done by friction during the fall

1/2 m v2 = d m g sin 20 - d μk m g

- Warren

I'm so sorry, I somehow left out the mass, it was given to be 120kg...

So sorry

Also that is 10m down the slide,.

Last edited:
You should have everything you need in my last post -- can you solve for v?

- Warren

What is the purpose of correcting test problems?

Correcting test problems helps to ensure that the results of the test are accurate and reliable. It also allows for a better understanding of the material being tested and can help to identify areas of improvement.

How do I know if I need to correct a test problem?

If you notice inconsistencies or errors in the results of a test, it is important to review and correct any potential problems. It is also helpful to have a second person review the test for any mistakes or discrepancies.

What are some common types of test problems that need to be corrected?

Some common types of test problems include incorrect data entry, calculation errors, and faulty equipment or procedures. It is important to carefully review all aspects of the test to identify and correct any potential problems.

What steps should I take to correct a test problem?

The first step is to carefully review the test and identify any potential problems. Next, determine the cause of the problem and take the necessary steps to correct it. This may involve recalculating data, adjusting equipment, or repeating the test. It is also important to document the correction process.

How can I prevent test problems in the future?

There are several steps that can be taken to prevent test problems in the future. These include carefully following procedures, double-checking data entry, properly calibrating equipment, and having a second person review the test results. It is also helpful to regularly review and update testing procedures to ensure they are accurate and effective.