Does the EU Produce More Technology Graduates than the US and Japan?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary, according to the European Commission's research Directorate General report, the EU produces more science and technology graduates than the United States or Japan, both in absolute terms and in relation to population size. This may be surprising to some, considering the technological advancements made by Japan and the US, but it is attributed to the EU being a group of countries rather than a single country. The EU aims to become one economy and has set a deadline for 3% of the budget to be spent on R&D. The integration of European research and educational institutions is also improving, with student exchange programs and the EU expansion allowing more students to afford high quality education. However, there are also concerns about the laws and regulations in the US that make it more
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The EU produces more science and technology graduates than either the United States or Japan, both in absolute terms and in relation to population size.
source: European Commission's research Directorate General report.

Ain't that surprising..

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ofcourse the following issue stands on the other side.. http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20040430/02"

Last edited by a moderator:
The EU produces more science and technology graduates than either the United States or Japan, both in absolute terms and in relation to population size.
And if the brain factory works all day and all night, in the end the best ones still go West :rolleyes:

Why is that surprising?

Because if you look at the technological advancements that are made, Japan or the US would be the forefront runners. You'd think that these countries would be raising the next generation students, but apparently they get their ppl mainly from other countries. If only enough subsidies would become available in the EU, the US would be toast..

The EU is a group of countries though, Monique, not a single country. That makes a difference here. Holland, for example, isn't ever going to get a "Silicon Valley" to rival ours because its simply too small of a country to support such a thing.

The EU is a big help for competing with the US on purely economic mass related issues, but it isn't a single, fully integrated economy (yet).

Sure, but the whole idea of the EU is to become one economy and have the resources to set up large projects. You already see that with the European Space Station being build. The biggest problem at the moment is the large exodus of expertise from Europe to the US, why? I think Europe is a much nicer place to live, but the US is where the money and the resources are. The EU has 2010 as a deadline where 3% of the budget needs to be spent on R&D and other goals I'm not very up-to-date on..

Another important issue, apart from money, is the integration of European research and educational intitutions. In the US it has been much easier for students and researchers to move and exchange knowledge between different institutions compared to Europe, but things are changing rapidly in Europe. There exist student exchange programs that allow undergraduates and postgraduates to attend universities in other EU countries and the EU expansion means that thousands more students will be able to afford high quality education in EU universities. And at least in the field I'm more familiar with, that is high energy physics, I think the center of international activity will probably shift to Europe when the large hadron collider starts operating in 2007 (hopefully).

If it were a question of quantity of science graduates, the US would have always been second best. The US produces the great entrepreneurs, those that mortgage their lives because they have a concept. Startups, venture capital, and minimal government interference provide the means, but only a driven person can provide the force.

Monique said:
If only enough subsidies would become available in the EU, the US would be toast..

Subsidies? For who? I don't follow.

Money is in the US because we are a highly friendly and open market for businesses. That leads to more money, and exchange higher pay for these skilled workers. This same market also provides a market kind to the entrepreneur - this is why so many flock from India after completing rigorous training at IIT. Such a driven educated person can easily make a fortune in an environment that caters to that drive.

superconformal said:
Another important issue, apart from money, is the integration of European research and educational intitutions. In the US it has been much easier for students and researchers to move and exchange knowledge between different institutions compared to Europe, but things are changing rapidly in Europe. There exist student exchange programs that allow undergraduates and postgraduates to attend universities in other EU countries and the EU expansion means that thousands more students will be able to afford high quality education in EU universities. And at least in the field I'm more familiar with, that is high energy physics, I think the center of international activity will probably shift to Europe when the large hadron collider starts operating in 2007 (hopefully).

There's also the subject of laws. Biotech is huge here because there is a profit to be made. Cloning, of all kinds, seems to be more likely in Europe than here in the US...at least the way things are currently goign.

Monique said:
the US would be toast..

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high,
there's a land that I heard of, once in a lullaby...

Monique makes a good point- Europe generally has better labor laws and certainly has superior health care, as well as month long paid vacations. The taxes are high but the average quality of life is certainly something to envy.

Last edited by a moderator:
schwarzchildradius said:
Monique makes a good point- Europe generally has better labor laws and certainly has superior health care, as well as month long paid vacations. The taxes are high but the average quality of life is certainly something to envy.

Honestly, I hate the idea of it. Having a work force that produces 11 months of the year, or less, sucks...in my mind.
I love the attitudes of many people in Europe, I'd love to retire there, but I hate the idea of running a business or working in that enviroment. Then again, I am a bit of a self labeled workaholic.

1. What are the top industries that EU technology graduates work in?

The top industries that EU technology graduates work in include information technology, engineering, telecommunications, manufacturing, and research and development. These industries offer a wide variety of job opportunities for graduates with technology-related degrees.

2. What skills do EU technology graduates possess?

EU technology graduates possess a range of technical and soft skills, including programming languages, data analysis, problem-solving, communication, and teamwork. They also have a strong understanding of emerging technologies and their applications.

3. How do EU technology graduates contribute to the advancement of technology?

EU technology graduates play a crucial role in the advancement of technology by bringing fresh perspectives and innovative ideas to the field. They also conduct research and development, create new products and services, and implement new technologies in various industries.

4. What are the career prospects for EU technology graduates?

The career prospects for EU technology graduates are generally very positive. With their in-demand skills and knowledge, they have a wide range of job opportunities in various industries, including tech companies, startups, government agencies, and research institutions.

5. How does the EU support technology graduates?

The EU supports technology graduates through various initiatives and programs, such as funding for research and development projects, scholarships for students, and partnerships between universities and companies. The EU also promotes entrepreneurship and provides resources for graduates to start their own tech businesses.