Find work given force equation in component form

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the work done by a given force in moving a particle from its initial position to its final position. The force is given in component form, and a relationship between the variables x and y is needed. By substituting y for x in the force equation and integrating from 0 to 1, the work can be calculated. The angle between the force and the direction of displacement is also necessary for the calculation.
xcgirl

Homework Statement

First, there is a graph showing x initial at (0,0) and x final at (1,1)

Given: F = xy i +xyj
Find the work done by this force moving the particle from x initial to x final. [note you'll need a relationship between y and x]

Homework Equations

W = Fdcos(theta)
Work is the integral of force

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the relationship between y and x is simply y = x. So would i just subsitute y for x in the force equation and integrate from 0 to 1? What trips me up is that the force equation is given in component form, and I'm not sure how to integrate with it in that way.

Thank you for any help in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
xcgirl said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the relationship between y and x is simply y = x. So would i just subsitute y for x in the force equation and integrate from 0 to 1?
Yes.

What trips me up is that the force equation is given in component form, and I'm not sure how to integrate with it in that way.
Since they give you the components of F, you can use that information to figure out the angle between F and the direction of the displacement. You pretty much need to know this angle, since (as you correctly said) W = F·d·cosθ

Related to Find work given force equation in component form

What is the force equation in component form?

The force equation in component form is given by F = ma, where F represents the force, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration.

How do I find work using the force equation in component form?

To find work using the force equation in component form, you can use the formula W = F * d, where W represents the work, F represents the force, and d represents the displacement or distance traveled.

Can the force equation in component form be used for all types of forces?

Yes, the force equation in component form can be used for all types of forces, including gravitational force, electromagnetic force, and applied force. It is a universal equation for calculating the force on an object.

How do I convert the force equation from vector form to component form?

To convert the force equation from vector form to component form, you can break down the force vector into its x, y, and z components using the trigonometric functions cosine and sine. This will give you the force equation in component form.

Can the force equation in component form be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, the force equation in component form can be used in three-dimensional space. In this case, the force vector will have three components (Fx, Fy, Fz) and the acceleration vector will also have three components (ax, ay, az).