Kinematics: Solving Problems with Displacement, Velocity, and Acceleration

• Thread starter PhysicsBeginner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary: After 21 sec, it's just a projectile under gravity.After 21 sec, it's just a projectile under gravity and it reaches a high of 818.5 m before hitting the ground.
PhysicsBeginner
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I am kinda having trouble with a physics problem. Could someone please help me out with 3 problems. Thanks.

A rocket is fired vertically with an upward acceleration of 27 m/s2. After 21 s, the engine shuts off and the rocket continues as a free particle until it reaches the ground.
(a) What is the highest point the rocket reaches?
km
(b) What is the total time the rocket is in the air?
s
(c) What is the speed of the rocket just before it hits the ground?
m/s
===================================================
Two stones are dropped from the edge of a 200-m cliff, the second stone 1.3 s after the first.
(a) How long after the second stone is dropped will the separation between the two stones be 35 m?
s
(b) At this point, how far below the clifftop is the second stone?
m

====================================================
A particle undergoes three successive displacements in a plane, as follows: 2.0 m southwest, 5.0 m east, and 8.0 m in a direction 60.0° north of east. Choose the y-axis pointing north and the x-axis pointing east.
(a) Find the components of the first displacement.
m east and m north
Find the components of the second displacement.
m east and m north
Find the components of the third displacement.
m east and m north
(b) Find the components of the resultant displacement.
m east and m north
(c) Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant displacement.
m at an angle of ° North of East
(d) Find the displacement that would be required to bring the particle back to the starting point.
m i + m j.

I got some fromt the last one correct but am having trouble with the whole concept.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok so apparently i am suppose to show work which i have done on the problems. I haven't done much work on them except draw the pictures etc... For the first problem i know I'm suppose to use the two main kinematics problems which are: v = v0 + at and x = x0+v0t+.5at^2

For the last problem i got the letters a) and c) but i think i am miscalculating the angle on b) and and completely lost on how to do the other parts.

PhysicsBeginner said:
Ok so apparently i am suppose to show work which i have done on the problems. I haven't done much work on them except draw the pictures etc... For the first problem i know I'm suppose to use the two main kinematics problems which are: v = v0 + at and x = x0+v0t+.5at^2
Time to get to work! You'll need those kinematic equations. (Here's another that may come in handy: V^2 = V0^2 + 2ax )

For the first problem (the rocket) do it in pieces. How fast is it going after 21 sec? How high is it? After 21 sec, it's just a projectile under gravity.

Give it a try.

Doc Al said:
Time to get to work! You'll need those kinematic equations. (Here's another that may come in handy: V^2 = V0^2 + 2ax )

For the first problem (the rocket) do it in pieces. How fast is it going after 21 sec? How high is it? After 21 sec, it's just a projectile under gravity.

Give it a try.

Ok so i plugged the numbers into the first kinematic problem to get the speed at 21 sec which was 500 m/s. After that i used the 3rd equation listed in the quote above to get how high it went and i got the wrong answer from what it is suppose to be. Anyone know what i am doing wrong?

PhysicsBeginner said:
Ok so i plugged the numbers into the first kinematic problem to get the speed at 21 sec which was 500 m/s.
Check that one over. If you don't find your mistake, post your calculation.

What is "First Post. Kinematics"?

"First Post. Kinematics" is a phrase often used in online forums to indicate that a user is making their first post in a discussion about kinematics, which is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion.

What are some examples of kinematics?

Some examples of kinematics include a ball rolling down a hill, a car accelerating on a straight road, and a pendulum swinging back and forth.

What is the difference between kinematics and kinetics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces involved, while kinetics is the study of motion taking into account the forces causing the motion.

Why is kinematics important in science?

Kinematics is important in science because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects, which is a fundamental aspect of the physical world. It is also the basis for more complex concepts such as dynamics and mechanics.

What are some real-world applications of kinematics?

Kinematics has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, robotics, sports, and transportation. It is used to design and analyze machines and structures, create simulations and animations, and improve the performance of athletes and vehicles.