Find which nitrate has the lowest pH

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, KNO3 will have the lowest pH because it will dissociate and leave the NO3 with 1 negative charge, which will only attract 1 hydrogen ion, leaving the least amount of OH ions, meaning the solution would have a lower pH than the other ones.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

Which solution will have the lowest pH?
a) Mg(NO3)2
b) Ca(NO3)2
c) Al(NO3)3
d) KNO3
e) Zn(NO3)2

Homework Equations

None I know of.

The Attempt at a Solution

My reasoning was that when the metal dissociates from the nitrate, it will leave a negative charge on the nitrate. I need to find which one will have the lowest pH, so I figured that the KNO3 would dissociate and leave the NO3 with 1 negative charge, which would only attract 1 hydrogen ion, leaving the least amount of OH ions, meaning the solution would have a lower pH than the other ones, since they would dissociate and attract more hydrogens, leaving more OH ions, which would cause the pH to be higher.
But apparently that's not the case.

So I'm stumped. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Men+ + mH2O <=> Me(OH)m(n-m)+ + mH+

Borek said:
Men+ + mH2O <=> Me(OH)m(n-m)+ + mH+

I don't understand.

leroyjenkens said:
I don't understand.

Borek wanted to convey that the metal ions would form hydroxides through reaction with water.

The metal ion which would use more OH- will result in increased concentration of H+. (H2O <=> OH-+H+)

See which one gives,more
H3O+
H+

Lowest pH means acids

I learned weeks ago, that you can find it by oxidation number. If I remember clearly below number the metal has, it's acid

Is the the answer KNO3?

Bandarigoda said:
I learned weeks ago, that you can find it by oxidation number. If I remember clearly below number the metal has, it's acid

No.

Bandarigoda said:
Is the the answer KNO3?

No.

Borek said:
No.
No.

As usually I suck at chemistry. Could u explain more easy way to determine it? Sorry for my English

Pranav-Arora said:
Borek wanted to convey that the metal ions would form hydroxides through reaction with water.

The metal ion which would use more OH- will result in increased concentration of H+. (H2O <=> OH-+H+)

Oh, I was confused what Me and m were for. I guess m was just used as a variable and Me stands for metal.

So the opposite of what I thought was true. When the Al(NO3)3 dissociates, that leaves an Al with a +3 charge, which will bond to 3 OH, which will leave 3 H cations. For the one I chose, K will only bond to 1 OH, leaving just 1 H cation, which will have a higher pH. So the lowest pH will be the Al(NO3)3.

Thanks guys.

leroyjenkens said:
Oh, I was confused what Me and m were for. I guess m was just used as a variable and Me stands for metal.

Yes, Me is a metal, and m, n are just some integeres.

So the opposite of what I thought was true. When the Al(NO3)3 dissociates, that leaves an Al with a +3 charge, which will bond to 3 OH, which will leave 3 H cations. For the one I chose, K will only bond to 1 OH, leaving just 1 H cation, which will have a higher pH. So the lowest pH will be the Al(NO3)3.

Beware - these are all equilibrium reactions. It doesn't mean these reactions proceed to an end, so your conclusion is not necessarily correct. TBH without consulting solubility/stability constant tables I am not sure what is the correct answer here.

Related to Find which nitrate has the lowest pH

1. How do I determine the pH of nitrates?

To determine the pH of nitrates, you will need to perform a chemical analysis using a pH meter or pH testing strips. The nitrate sample will need to be dissolved in water and the pH of the resulting solution can be measured.

2. What is the significance of finding the lowest pH nitrate?

The pH of a nitrate can indicate its acidity or basicity, which can affect its reactivity and potential impact on the environment. Finding the lowest pH nitrate can help identify which nitrates may be more harmful or corrosive.

3. How does the pH of nitrates affect their ability to leach into groundwater?

The lower the pH of a nitrate, the more acidic it is, and therefore the more likely it is to leach into groundwater. This can be especially concerning for nitrates used in fertilizers, as they can contaminate drinking water sources.

4. Can the pH of nitrates change over time?

Yes, the pH of nitrates can change over time due to various factors such as exposure to sunlight, microbial activity, and chemical reactions with other substances. It is important to regularly monitor the pH of nitrates to ensure safe handling and disposal.

5. How can I minimize the pH of nitrates?

The pH of nitrates can be minimized by using neutralizing agents or diluting them with water. However, it is important to handle and dispose of nitrates properly to avoid any potential harm to the environment.