Find where e-field is 0 question.

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E-field
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the point on the x-axis where the electric field is 0 due to two charges, one at x=-1m with a charge of 8nC and the other at x=3m with a charge of 12nC. The solution is x=1.8m, but there is confusion and disagreement among the speakers as to whether this is the correct answer.
pyroknife

Homework Statement

Charge 1 is 8nC and is located at x=-1m. Charge 2 is 12nC and is located at x=3m. Find x where e field is equal to 0 due to the 2 charges.

Homework Equations

e=kq/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is x=1.8, but I just can't seem to get anywhere near that. I know that x has to be between -1m and 3m b/c the E-field due to the 2 charges can only cancel out when x is in between.
E1=e field due to charge 1
E2=e field due to charge 2

0=E1-E2 <<<it's minus because E2 is acting in the negative directive
0=kq1/(x+1)^2 - kq2/(3-x)^2
0=8/(x+1)^2 - 12/(3-x)^2 <<canceled out k and 10^-9 from the nano.
8/(x+1)^2 = 12/(3-x)^2 << the answer is 1.8, I don't want to write out the rest so just plug 1.8 in. When you plug it in it doesn't equal each other.
From that my answer isn't even close to 1.8m. I think I messed up somewhere in the denominator of the equation above, but I can't see how.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you messed up your equation. It looks fine to me. What did you get for an answer? x=1.8m doesn't look like a correct answer to me.

Dick said:
I don't think you messed up your equation. It looks fine to me. What did you get for an answer? x=1.8m doesn't look like a correct answer to me.

x=1.8 was the answer in the book and it really makes sense if you draw out the 2 charges.
I'll carry on with my calculations
8/(x+1)^2 = 12/(3-x)^2 << the answer is 1.8, I don't want to write out the rest so just plug 1.8 in. When you plug it in it doesn't equal each other.

8/(x^2+2x+1)=12/(x^2-6x+9)
1/(x^2+2x+1)=1.5/(x^2-6x+9)
now I cross multiplied and got 1.5x^2+3x+1.5=x^2-6x+9
.5x^2+9x-7.5=0
x=.8

pyroknife said:
...and it really makes sense if you draw out the 2 charges.
What's your reasoning on that? I agree with Dick that x=1.8m doesn't seem like the right answer.

pyroknife said:
x=1.8 was the answer in the book and it really makes sense if you draw out the 2 charges.
I'll carry on with my calculations

8/(x^2+2x+1)=12/(x^2-6x+9)
1/(x^2+2x+1)=1.5/(x^2-6x+9)
now I cross multiplied and got 1.5x^2+3x+1.5=x^2-6x+9
.5x^2+9x-7.5=0
x=.8

x around 0.8 is what I get. That puts it at a distance of 1.8 from the charge at x=(-1) and a distance of 2.2 from the charge at x=3. The solution of x=1.8 is a distance of 2.8 from the charge at x=(-1) and a distance of 1.2 from the charge at x=3. That's clearly wrong, right? The balance point should be closer to the weaker charge, yes? Are you sure they didn't ask you how far from the leftmost charge is the balance point?

diazona said:
What's your reasoning on that? I agree with Dick that x=1.8m doesn't seem like the right answer.
Sorry my reasoning behind that is poor. I just assumed it was right since it was between -1 and 3m.
Dick said:
x around 0.8 is what I get. That puts it at a distance of 1.8 from the charge at x=(-1) and a distance of 2.2 from the charge at x=3. The solution of x=1.8 is a distance of 2.8 from the charge at x=(-1) and a distance of 1.2 from the charge at x=3. That's clearly wrong, right? The balance point should be closer to the weaker charge, yes? Are you sure they didn't ask you how far from the leftmost charge is the balance point?

The question is exactly as follows "find the point on the x-axis where the electric field is 0." Maybe the book made a mistake, it's happened before.

pyroknife said:
Sorry my reasoning behind that is poor. I just assumed it was right since it was between -1 and 3m.

The question is exactly as follows "find the point on the x-axis where the electric field is 0." Maybe the book made a mistake, it's happened before.

It's clear it has to me. It's a distance of 1.8 meters from the left charge. It's not at x=1.8.

Related to Find where e-field is 0 question.

1. What is an e-field?

An e-field, or electric field, is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that an electric charge would experience at any given point in space.

2. How do you determine where the e-field is 0?

The e-field is 0 at a point in space when the net electric force on a charge at that point is 0. This can be determined by using the principle of superposition, which states that the total electric field at a point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields produced by each charge in the system.

3. Can the e-field ever be 0?

Yes, the e-field can be 0 at certain points in space. This can occur when there are equal and opposite charges canceling each other out, or when the distance from a single charge is far enough that the strength of the e-field is negligible.

4. Why is it important to know where the e-field is 0?

Knowing where the e-field is 0 can help us understand the behavior of electric charges and how they interact with each other. It is also important in practical applications such as designing electronic circuits or understanding the movement of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields.

5. How is the e-field related to the electric potential?

The electric field is related to the electric potential by the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator. This means that the electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential, and the electric potential can be thought of as the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space.