Find Weight of Object Pulled by Rope w/ FT=30N & Acceleration=1.4m/s2

In summary, by using the formula for sum of forces and equating it to mass times acceleration, the weight of the object can be calculated by dividing the tension in the rope by the sum of the acceleration and gravitational acceleration. This results in a weight of 2.6kg. However, the book states the correct answer as 3.6kg and uses a different method by relating the forces acting in opposite directions. This could potentially be a mistake in the book as it does not take into account the difference between mass and weight and does not specify the direction of acceleration.
ThomasMagnus
An object is pulled up by a rope from an elevator traveling upward with an acceleration of 1.4 m/s2. The tension in the rope is 30N. What is the weight of the object.
A) 2.6kg
B) 3.6kg
C)4.6kg
D)5.6kg

My attempt:
FT=30N
asystem=1.4m/s2
Weight of object=mg

The system is accelerating up, so let 'up' be positive.
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=ma

Sum of the forces acting upwards minus sum of the forces acting downward:
30N+(-mg)=ma
30N=m(a+g)
30/(9.8+1.4)=m
m=2.6kg

For some reason I am not getting the correct answer. The book says that it is 3.6kg. What am I doing wrong?

This is the method the book uses:
"Since the forces act in opposite directions, they are related as: mg=ma+T"

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
looks like a double book error. 1.) Mass and weight are not the same. 2.) The acceleration and movement are not necessarily in the same direction, and this is not stated. Assuming that the acceleration is upward, what is the object's weight?

If the acceleration is upward and they are talking about mass, did I do it correctly?

yes.

Therefore,
m= (T/a) - g
m= (30N/1.4m/s^2) - 9.8m/s^2
m= 21.43 - 9.8
m= 11.63kg

It seems that the book has used the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, to solve for the weight (mg) of the object. In your attempt, you have used the equation \SigmaF=ma, where \SigmaF is the sum of all forces, and have solved for the mass (m) of the object. Both approaches are valid, but the book's method may be simpler and more straightforward. It is important to note that the weight of an object is equal to the force of gravity acting on it, which is given by the equation F=mg. Therefore, the weight of the object is 30N, since that is the force of gravity acting on it. The book's method takes into account the tension in the rope, which is an external force acting on the object, while your method only considers the net force. Both methods are correct, but the book's method may be more appropriate in this scenario.

Related to Find Weight of Object Pulled by Rope w/ FT=30N & Acceleration=1.4m/s2

1. What is the formula for finding the weight of an object pulled by a rope?

The formula for finding the weight of an object pulled by a rope is W = m x a, where W is weight, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How do I determine the mass of the object in this scenario?

If you know the weight of the object and the acceleration, you can rearrange the formula W = m x a to solve for mass. In this case, the mass would be m = W / a.

3. What unit of measurement is used for weight and acceleration?

Weight is typically measured in Newtons (N), and acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s2).

4. Can I use this formula to find the weight of any object?

Yes, this formula can be used to find the weight of any object as long as you know the mass and acceleration.

5. How can I use this information in a real-life scenario?

This formula can be used in various scenarios, such as calculating the weight of a person on a rollercoaster or determining the force required to pull an object with a given acceleration.