Advice for first time tutoring?

In summary, when tutoring a high school level chemistry class for the first time, it is important to have patience and try to find out what the student already knows. It is helpful to work through homework problems together and analyze each step, asking the student to explain their reasoning. It is also important to teach the process rather than just giving the solution. Each student may have their own unique points of confusion, so it is important to ask questions and identify the specific concepts causing trouble. It may also be helpful to have a clear understanding of the objectives and skills the student needs to work on.
einsteinian77
I'm about to tutor someone in a high school level chemistry class and this is my first time tutoring, any tips? keep in mind I am only 17 and I am a student myself.

Science news on Phys.org
Patience.

Try to find out what he knows first. I arranged to tutor someone in physics, and had to teach ther how to multiply fractions first.

Homework problems are usually assigned for good reason. Work through them thoroughly. Analyze each step. Even if he does the right thing, ask why. If he thinks he knows a problem, set it aside for a while, then ask him to do it again when he has had time to forget it. This will let you know if he really understands it, or has just memorized the steps to solving it. He will soon recognise more accurately whether he knows something or not.

Njorl

work through problems together...don't lecture

teach the process, not the solution (chemisty pun)

I tutored my way through the first half of my college career; mostly in chemistry and physics. I think in addition to the good suggestions offered already, I would add that each person has their own unique points of confusion. I always tried to ask questions until I could identify the particular concept causing trouble.

I arranged to tutor someone in physics, and had to teach them how to multiply fractions first

I have had similar experiences. One person simply could not conceive of negative numbers. Another didn't really grasp the meaning of the conservation of energy concept. Others just won't study and they expect you to solve their problems. I had to give the "you have to do your homework" lecture regularly.

I used to be a teacher and when making a unit or lesson plan, the first thing you want to do is come up with objectives (goals). Once you know the objectives, you can form the lessons around them. If you can't get that information from the student's teacher, the textbook should give a good guideline.

Since the student is in need of tutoring, you'll want to know what skills he/she is lacking. You might talk with the student and ask what problems he/she seems to be having with his/her assignments. Find out where you can focus. Concentrate on the areas that need the most work.

~Sandy

Last edited:

What qualifications do I need to become a tutor?

There are no specific qualifications required to become a tutor, but having a strong understanding of the subject you are tutoring and good communication skills are essential. Some tutoring companies may also require a certain level of education or experience in the subject area.

How do I prepare for my first tutoring session?

The key to preparing for your first tutoring session is to understand the needs and goals of your student. Familiarize yourself with the material that will be covered and come up with a plan to help your student achieve their goals. It is also important to create a comfortable and positive learning environment for your student.

How do I handle difficult or unmotivated students?

It is important to approach difficult or unmotivated students with patience and understanding. Try to identify the root cause of their difficulties or lack of motivation and find ways to address it. Use positive reinforcement and offer encouragement to help them overcome their challenges.

What teaching strategies should I use for different learning styles?

As a tutor, it is important to be adaptable and cater to different learning styles. Some students may be visual learners, while others may learn best through hands-on activities. It is important to use a variety of teaching strategies, such as visual aids, interactive activities, and real-life examples, to engage and accommodate different learning styles.

How can I track my student's progress?

Tracking your student's progress is crucial to ensure that they are making improvements and achieving their goals. You can track progress by regularly assessing their understanding of the material, setting achievable goals, and keeping a record of their grades. It is also important to communicate with the student and their parents to get feedback on their progress.