Find Volume of Revolved Region: [-pi/2, pi/2] & y= cos x & y = -cos x

• MHB
  • Thread starter shunae95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Volume
In summary, the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region enclosed by y= cos x and y = -cos x for [-pi/2, pi/2] about the line y=2pi can be found using the washer method with an integral of 16π^2. Alternatively, the shell method can also be used with the same result.
shunae95
Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region enclosed by y= cos x and y = -cos x for [-pi/2, pi/2] about the line y=2pi.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello shunae95 and welcome to MHB! :D

We ask that our users show their progress (work thus far or thoughts on how to begin) when posting questions. This way our helpers can see where you are stuck or may be going astray and will be able to post the best help possible without potentially making a suggestion which you have already tried, which would waste your time and that of the helper.

Can you post what you have done so far?

2π∫π/2 0 (2π+cosx)2−(2π−cosx)2dx
2π∫π/2 (2π+cos⁡x)2−(2π−cos⁡x)2dx16π2∫π/20cosxdx
16π2∫0π/2cos⁡xdx16π2[sinx]π/20=16π2

shunae95 said:
2π∫π/2 0 (2π+cosx)2−(2π−cosx)2dx
2π∫π/2 (2π+cos⁡x)2−(2π−cos⁡x)2dx16π2∫π/20cosxdx
16π2∫0π/2cos⁡xdx16π2[sinx]π/20=16π2

Do you have to use shells? Disk integration seems much more efficient:

\(\displaystyle \pi\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2}\left(2\pi+\cos(x)\right)^2-\left(2\pi-\cos(x)\right)^2\,dx=16\pi^2\)

My apologies for the late reply.

Last edited:
If I use the shell method, I get:

\(\displaystyle V=4\pi\int_{-1}^1 (2\pi-y)\arccos(|y|)\,dy=16\pi^2\)

Greg, when I evaluate the integral you correctly set up using the washer method, I also get $V=16\pi^2$. D

I forgot the coefficients of $2\pi$! :eek: Thanks Mark! (I've edited my post).

Related to Find Volume of Revolved Region: [-pi/2, pi/2] & y= cos x & y = -cos x

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a revolved region?

The formula for finding the volume of a revolved region is V = π∫a^b(y)^2dx, where a and b represent the bounds of the region and y is the function of the curve being revolved around the x-axis.

2. How do you determine the bounds of the revolved region?

The bounds of the revolved region are determined by the given range of x-values, which in this case is [-pi/2, pi/2]. These values represent the limits of rotation around the x-axis.

3. What is the difference between y = cos x and y = -cos x?

The difference between these two functions is that y = cos x represents the positive half of the cosine curve, while y = -cos x represents the negative half. This will result in different volumes when revolved around the x-axis.

4. Can this formula be used for other shapes besides curves?

No, this formula is specifically for finding the volume of a revolved region created by a curve. Other shapes may require different formulas or methods for finding their volume.

5. Are there any limitations to using this formula?

One limitation of this formula is that it can only be used for revolved regions that are symmetric about the x-axis, since it relies on the integration of (y)^2. Additionally, the function being revolved must also be continuous and differentiable within the given bounds.