Find Velocity of Rod Center of Mass When Making 30° Angle with Horizontal

In summary, the conversation discusses the velocity of the center of mass of a thin rigid rod placed vertically on a smooth ground. A disturbance at the upper end of the rod causes the lower end to slip along the ground, resulting in the rod falling at a 30 degree angle with the horizontal. The solution is found using the conservation of energy and by shifting all forces acting on the rod to its center of mass. The direction of the velocity of the center of mass is perpendicular to the contact surface between the rod and the ground.
Satvik Pandey

Homework Statement

A thin rigid rod of length ##l## is placed perfectly vertical on a smooth ground. A slight disturbance on the upper end of rod causes lower end of rod to slip along the ground and rod starts falling down. Find velocity of center of mass of rod when the rod makes ##30## with horizontal.

2.Relevant equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to find the instantaneous axis of rotation--
Untitled.png

So distance of IAOR from Com of rod is ## l cos\theta /2 ##

Now by conservation of energy

##\frac { mgl(1-sin\theta ) }{ 2 } =\frac { 1 }{ 2 } \left( \frac { m{ l }^{ 2 } }{ 12 } +\frac { m{ l }^{ 2 }{ cos }^{ 2 }\theta }{ 4 } \right) { \omega }^{ 2 }##

Also ##{ V }_{ CM }=\omega \frac { lcos\theta }{ 2 } ##

From these two equations I got ##{ V }_{ CM }=\sqrt { \frac { 9gl }{ 26 } } ##

I have confusion that why the lower end of the rod started moving backward.
I know that as only vertical force mg acts on the rod so the CoM of the rod falls vertically.
But why the lower end of the rod sliped backward?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the COM falls vertically and the rod rotates how do the upper end and lower end move?

Likes Satvik Pandey
ehild said:
If the COM falls vertically and the rod rotates how do the upper end and lower end move?

So does the lower end of the rod slipped backward in order to allow the CoM of the rod to fall vertically?

Satvik Pandey said:
So does the lower end of the rod slipped backward in order to allow the CoM of the rod to fall vertically?
Yes, and the upper end turns forward. You can describe the motion as the vertical falling of the COM and rotation about the COM.

Likes Satvik Pandey
ehild said:
Yes, and the upper end turns forward. You can describe the motion as the vertical falling of the COM and rotation about the COM.

I tried to draw the line of action of the velocity of the upper end of the rod.
Untitled.png

Here the red line shows the velocity of the upper end of the rod due to rotation. The red line is perpendicular to the to the black line.

And blue line shows the velocity of upper end of the rod due to vertical fall of CoM.

And green vector is the resultant of blue and red vector.
Does green vector correctly shows the line of action of the velocity of the upper end of the rod?

Satvik Pandey said:
Does green vector correctly shows the line of action of the velocity of the upper end of the rod?
Yes, in principle. You get the velocity of the ends as the vector sum of the velocity of the COM and the velocity of the end of rod with respect to the COM.

I also solved this question without using IAOR.

By conservation of energy

##\frac{mgl(1-sin\theta)}{2}=\frac{mv^{2}}{2} + \frac{I \omega^{2}}{2}##
Untitled.png

Velocity of the lower end of the rod in vertical direction is 0

So ## V_{com}=\frac{l \omega cos\theta}{2} ##

Using these two equations I got

## V=\sqrt { \frac { 3{ cos }^{ 2 }\theta (1-sin\theta )gl }{ 3{ cos }^{ 2 }\theta +1 } } ##

Is it right?

Last edited:
Likes ehild
When we have to draw the line of action of the velocity(acceleration) of the CoM of a rigid body we first shift all the forces acting on the rigidbody to its CoM and then we find the resultant of the forces. Does the line of action of velocity(acceleration) is similar to the direction of the resultant force acting on the CoM of the body?

Satvik Pandey said:
## V=\sqrt { \frac { 3{ cos }^{ 2 }\theta (1-sin\theta )gl }{ 3{ cos }^{ 2 }\theta +1 } } ##

Is it right?
Correct! :cool:

Satvik Pandey said:
When we have to draw the line of action of the velocity(acceleration) of the CoM of a rigid body we first shift all the forces acting on the rigidbody to its CoM and then we find the resultant of the forces. Does the line of action of velocity(acceleration) is similar to the direction of the resultant force acting on the CoM of the body?

I know what is the line of action of a force but I do not know what you mean on the line of action of velocity.

In case of the motion of a rigid body in a plane, the motion is equivalent to the motion of the CoM under the effect of all the external forces, applied at the CoM, accompanied with a rotation about the CoM.

Likes Satvik Pandey
ehild said:
I know what is the line of action of a force but I do not know what you mean on the line of action of velocity.

In case of the motion of a rigid body in a plane, the motion is equivalent to the motion of the CoM under the effect of all the external forces, applied at the CoM, accompanied with a rotation about the CoM.

I think Line of action of velocity is not the correct word.

Suppose there is rod resting in a wedge.(as shown in figure 1). When the system is released it will took the shape somewhat similar to (figure 2)(assume all surfaces to be friction less).Suppose we are asked to find the direction in which the CoM of rod will move.
Untitled.png

I think first I have to draw the FBD of the rod.(please see figure 3)

Then I shifted all forces to the CoM of the rod.
Untitled.png

Clearly mg is greater than N2.

Does the green arrow correctly show the direction in which CoM of rod will move?

Green vector is resultant of the three forces (mg,N1,N2).

N1 is wrong.

ehild said:
N1 is wrong.

Oh! Its direction is wrong. It should be perpendicular to the contact surface.
Untitled.png

Does green arrow correctly shows the direction in which the CoM of the the rod will move.

Green vector is the resultant of the forces N1,N2 amd mg.

I do not see why do you draw those arrows, but yes, the CoM moves downward and to the right. And I do not think that mg is smaller than N2 .

Likes Satvik Pandey
ehild said:
I do not see why do you draw those arrows, but yes, the CoM moves downward and to the right. And I do not think that mg is smaller than N2 .

As the CoM of the rod moves downward so mg should be greater than N2.

Does the CoM of the rod moves in the resultant of N1,N2 and mg?

Satvik Pandey said:
Does the CoM of the rod moves in the resultant of N1,N2 and mg?

Yes.

ehild said:
Yes.

Thank you ehild.
You are awesome.

Related to Find Velocity of Rod Center of Mass When Making 30° Angle with Horizontal

What is the formula for finding the velocity of a rod's center of mass when it is making a 30° angle with the horizontal?

The formula for finding the velocity of a rod's center of mass when it is making a 30° angle with the horizontal is v = √(gLsinθ), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, L is the length of the rod, and θ is the angle of the rod with the horizontal.

What is the significance of finding the velocity of a rod's center of mass when it is making a 30° angle with the horizontal?

Knowing the velocity of a rod's center of mass when it is making a 30° angle with the horizontal is important in understanding the motion and stability of the rod. It can also give insight into the forces acting on the rod and how it may behave in different scenarios.

Can the velocity of a rod's center of mass change when it is making a 30° angle with the horizontal?

Yes, the velocity of a rod's center of mass can change when it is making a 30° angle with the horizontal. This can happen if there is a change in the angle or if external forces act on the rod, altering its motion.

What factors can affect the velocity of a rod's center of mass when it is making a 30° angle with the horizontal?

The velocity of a rod's center of mass when it is making a 30° angle with the horizontal can be affected by several factors, including the length and mass of the rod, the angle of the rod with the horizontal, and external forces such as friction or air resistance.

Is there a difference in the velocity of a rod's center of mass when it is making a 30° angle with the horizontal compared to other angles?

Yes, there can be a difference in the velocity of a rod's center of mass when it is making a 30° angle with the horizontal compared to other angles. This is because the angle affects the components of the velocity, such as the vertical and horizontal components, which can change the overall velocity of the rod's center of mass.