Find Velocity: Help Solve Ball Problem

• Thread starter Prasun-rick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the question is about finding the velocity of a second ball thrown downward after 2 seconds so that it can hit the first ball in the next 2 seconds. The height of the first ball does not matter as long as it has been in flight for the required time. The first ball would have been in flight for 4 seconds before being hit. After some discussion, it was clarified that both balls are thrown downward. The solution involves calculating the distance traveled and equalizing the two distances.
Prasun-rick
So the question which is troubling me is as follows:
A ball is thrown vertically down with velocity of 5 m/s.With what velocity should another ball be thrown down after 2 seconds so that it can hit the 1st ball in next 2 seconds.

I couldn't ses the way out..as I feel the height of the 1st ball should be given...but I know I can be wrong..so please help me ..and thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The balls are thrown from the same spot. It doesn't matter how high that spot is above the ground as long as the spot is high enough that the first ball can be in flight for the required time before the second ball hits it. How long will the first ball have been in flight before the second ball hits it?

TSny said:
The balls are thrown from the same spot. It doesn't matter how high that spot is above the ground as long as the spot is high enough that the first ball can be in flight for the required time before the second ball hits it. How long will the first ball have been in flight before the second ball hits it?
welll...as far as I understood...the first ball was thrown vertically downwards and the second vertically upwards...and coming to your question the first ball would have stayed 4 sec in flight before the second one hits it...I guess :)

Prasun-rick said:
welll...as far as I understood...the first ball was thrown vertically downwards and the second vertically upwards...and coming to your question the first ball would have stayed 4 sec in flight before the second one hits it...I guess :)
But how to solve after that??..please help!

Prasun-rick said:
welll...as far as I understood...the first ball was thrown vertically downwards and the second vertically upwards...
The problem states that both balls are thrown downward.
and coming to your question the first ball would have stayed 4 sec in flight before the second one hits it...I guess :)
Yes. Good. What can you calculate that would be helpful in answering the question?

Likes Prasun-rick
Prasun-rick said:

Why do you claim that the second ball is thrown upwards. The question says, very clearly "... another ball be thrown down... "--so thrown down, not up.

TSny said:
The problem states that both balls are thrown downward.
Yes. Good. What can you calculate that would be helpful in answering the question?
Well yes...sorry It was my fault...indeed the second was thrown downwards too...
And I think I can calculate the distance they have traveled and also their final velocities !

Prasun-rick said:
And I think I can calculate the distance they have traveled and also their final velocities !
OK

Ray Vickson said:
Why do you claim that the second ball is thrown upwards. The question says, very clearly "... another ball be thrown down... "--so thrown down, not up.
yess...very sorry...It was my fault..I kept having a delusion that it was thrown upwards

TSny said:
OK
okay...then what to do?..Please help me out !..Should I equalise their distance travelled??..Will that be helpful?

You said you could calculate the distance traveled. Please show your work.

Note: Homework helpers are required to obey the Forum rules. One of the rules is not to help until the poster has filled out the template and shown some attempt at solving the problem. So, I'm already verging on getting fired here :oldsmile:

TSny said:
You said you could calculate the distance traveled. Please show your work.

Note: Homework helpers are required to obey the Forum rules. One of the rules is not to help until the poster has filled out the template and shown some attempt at solving the problem. So, I'm already verging on getting fired here :oldsmile:
okay thank you...I figured it out ..I just equalized the two distance !

Prasun-rick said:
okay thank you...I figured it out ..I just equalized the two distance !
Good work!

Related to Find Velocity: Help Solve Ball Problem

1. What is the formula for finding velocity?

The formula for finding velocity is v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

2. How do I solve a ball problem involving velocity?

To solve a ball problem involving velocity, you need to know the initial velocity of the ball, the distance it travels, and the time it takes to travel that distance. Then, you can use the formula v = d/t to calculate the velocity.

3. Can I use any unit of measurement for velocity?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement for velocity as long as you use the same unit for distance and time. Some common units for velocity include meters per second, kilometers per hour, and miles per hour.

4. What if the ball is thrown at an angle?

If the ball is thrown at an angle, you will need to use the formula v = u + at, where u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. You will also need to take into account the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity.

5. Can I use the same formula for finding velocity in different scenarios?

Yes, the formula v = d/t can be used to find velocity in various scenarios, such as a ball rolling down a ramp or a car traveling on a straight road. However, the values for distance and time may be calculated differently for each scenario.