Find velocity from Force graph using Work Theorem and Energy

In summary: Sorry, you misunderstood me. You didn't have to download LaTeX, although it will come in handy for work that is not PF related. You can embed LaTeX equations directly into the PF pages and there is a nifty quick guide to get you started. Just click LaTeX near the bottom of the page, all the way to the left from UPLOAD and to the right of the question mark. This will get you started. The LaTeX you downloaded, save for later use. It's great for writing papers, reports and anything that requires a lot of equations.
Max

Homework Statement

:[/B]

upload_2017-4-15_0-58-8.png

upload_2017-4-15_0-58-45.png

upload_2017-4-15_0-59-59.png

Homework Equations

W= \integral(Fxdx) W = \delta KE

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the definition of work to find the final velocity at 2m, and then work theorem together with integration for the changing force. I ended up having different solutions at first but then attempted to find acceleration instead for the constant force, and then plugged into find time it took it to reach 2m.
Then I used that data to find final velocity at 3m. It turned out very well. I just didn't understand why my first solution was wrong,

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    7.3 KB · Views: 442
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Max said:
Then I used that data to find final velocity at 3m. It turned out very well. I just didn't understand why my first solution was wrong,
If you show us exactly what you did and how you calculated your first solution, we should be able to help you.

I found out the error! I copied the graph wrongly so when I plugged in for integration, it was off! Jesus! Thanks though. Next time, I will post my handwritten note!

Max said:
Next time, I will post my handwritten note!
Better yet, familiarize yourself with LaTeX and use it instead of handwritten notes.

BTW, (belatedly) welcome to PF.

Likes Max
kuruman said:
Better yet, familiarize yourself with LaTeX and use it instead of handwritten notes.

BTW, (belatedly) welcome to PF.
I downloaded Latex as you suggested but not sure how it works. It was an over 1Gb download

Max said:
I downloaded Latex as you suggested but not sure how it works. It was an over 1Gb download
Sorry, you misunderstood me. You didn't have to download LaTeX, although it will come in handy for work that is not PF related. You can embed LaTeX equations directly into the PF pages and there is a nifty quick guide to get you started. Just click LaTeX near the bottom of the page, all the way to the left from UPLOAD and to the right of the question mark. This will get you started. The LaTeX you downloaded, save for later use. It's great for writing papers, reports and anything that requires a lot of equations.

Related to Find velocity from Force graph using Work Theorem and Energy

What is the Work Theorem?

The Work Theorem states that the work done by a force on an object is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the object.

How do you find velocity from a Force graph?

To find velocity from a Force graph using the Work Theorem and Energy, you would need to calculate the area under the graph, which represents the work done by the force on the object. Then, using the formula W = ΔKE, you can solve for the change in kinetic energy. Finally, using the equation KE = 1/2mv², you can solve for the velocity of the object.

What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related, as work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. In the context of the Work Theorem, work is represented by the area under the Force graph, and energy is represented by the change in kinetic energy of the object.

Can the Work Theorem be applied to all types of forces?

Yes, the Work Theorem can be applied to all types of forces, as long as the force is constant and the object is moving in a straight line.

What are the limitations of using the Work Theorem to find velocity?

The limitations of using the Work Theorem to find velocity include the assumption that the force is constant and the object is moving in a straight line, as well as the fact that it does not take into account any other factors that may affect the velocity of the object, such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by experimental errors or uncertainties in the measurements.