Find Vectors $\vec{v_1}$, $\vec{v_2}$, $\vec{v_3}$ Given Dot Products

• MHB
  • Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, there is some freedom in choosing the vectors $\vec{v_1}$, $\vec{v_2}$, and $\vec{v_3}$ as long as their lengths and dot products satisfy the given equations. One possible solution is $\vec{v_1}=(2,0,0)$, $\vec{v_2}=(-1,1,0)$, and $\vec{v_3}=(3,-2,4)$. Additionally, rotating or mirroring all three vectors will result in another solution.
Saitama
Problem:
Find $\vec{v_1}$,$\vec{v_2}$ and $\vec{v_3}$ given that:

$$\vec{v_1}\cdot \vec{v_1}=4$$
$$\vec{v_1}\cdot \vec{v_2}=-2$$
$$\vec{v_1}\cdot \vec{v_3}=6$$
$$\vec{v_2}\cdot \vec{v_2}=2$$
$$\vec{v_2}\cdot \vec{v_3}=-5$$
$$\vec{v_3}\cdot \vec{v_3}=29$$

Attempt:
Assuming the vector $\vec{v_i}$ as $x_i \hat{i}+y_i \hat{j}+z_i \hat{k}$ is definitely not a good idea.

I am really clueless on how to tackle this problem. I can see that adding the second and fourth equation gives $\vec{v_2}\cdot (\vec{v_1}+\vec{v_2})=0$. This means that $\vec{v_1}$ is perpendicular to $\vec{v_1}+\vec{v_2}$ but I am not sure if this helps. I need a few hints to begin with.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Pranav said:
Problem:
Find $\vec{v_1}$,$\vec{v_2}$ and $\vec{v_3}$ given that:

$$\vec{v_1}\cdot \vec{v_1}=4$$
$$\vec{v_1}\cdot \vec{v_2}=-2$$
$$\vec{v_1}\cdot \vec{v_3}=6$$
$$\vec{v_2}\cdot \vec{v_2}=2$$
$$\vec{v_2}\cdot \vec{v_3}=-5$$
$$\vec{v_3}\cdot \vec{v_3}=29$$

Attempt:
Assuming the vector $\vec{v_i}$ as $x_i \hat{i}+y_i \hat{j}+z_i \hat{k}$ is definitely not a good idea.

I am really clueless on how to tackle this problem. I can see that adding the second and fourth equation gives $\vec{v_2}\cdot (\vec{v_1}+\vec{v_2})=0$. This means that $\vec{v_1}$ is perpendicular to $\vec{v_1}+\vec{v_2}$ but I am not sure if this helps. I need a few hints to begin with.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hey Pranav! ;)

There is a bit of freedom here.
You can pick any vector for $\vec v_1$ as long as its length is $2$.
After that, you can pick any vector for $\vec v_2$ as long as its length is $\sqrt 2$ and its dot product with $\vec v_1$ is $-2$.
After that we can see what remains for $\vec v_3$.

So let's pick $\vec v_1 = (2,0,0)$. That is with a zero component in both y- and z-directions.
And let's pick the z-coordinate of $\vec v_2$ zero.
Can you find a $\vec v_2$ that fits?
And after that a $\vec v_3$?

When you have found a solution, you can rotate or mirror that solution anyway you want (or a combination of those), and you'll have another solution.

I like Serena said:
Hey Pranav! ;)

There is a bit of freedom here.
You can pick any vector for $\vec v_1$ as long as its length is $2$.
After that, you can pick any vector for $\vec v_2$ as long as its length is $\sqrt 2$ and its dot product with $\vec v_1$ is $-2$.
After that we can see what remains for $\vec v_3$.

So let's pick $\vec v_1 = (2,0,0)$. That is with a zero component in both y- and z-directions.
And let's pick the z-coordinate of $\vec v_2$ zero.
Can you find a $\vec v_2$ that fits?
And after that a $\vec v_3$?
When you have found a solution, you can rotate or mirror that solution anyway you want (or a combination of those), and you'll have another solution.

Hi ILS! :)

Let $\vec{v_2}=x_2\hat{i}+y_2\hat{j}$. Then, from the second equation we have $2x_2=-2 \Rightarrow x_2=-1$, hence $y_2$ must be either $1$ or $-1$. Let us pick $y_2=1$.

I similarly found $\vec{v_3}$ (with $y_2=1$) equal to $3\hat{i}-2\hat{j}+4\hat{k}$.

...(or a combination of those), and you'll have another solution.
I am not sure what this means. Do you say that $v_1+v_2=\hat{i}+\hat{j}$ is also a solution to the given equation?

Thanks!

Pranav said:
Hi ILS! :)

Let $\vec{v_2}=x_2\hat{i}+y_2\hat{j}$. Then, from the second equation we have $2x_2=-2 \Rightarrow x_2=-1$, hence $y_2$ must be either $1$ or $-1$. Let us pick $y_2=1$.

I similarly found $\vec{v_3}$ (with $y_2=1$) equal to $3\hat{i}-2\hat{j}+4\hat{k}$.

Good!
I am not sure what this means. Do you say that $v_1+v_2=\hat{i}+\hat{j}$ is also a solution to the given equation?

Thanks!

No. I mean that you can mirror all three vectors, and then rotate all three vectors, and the result will be another solution.
If you rotate all 3 vectors together, their lengths and their directions relative to each other remain the same.

I like Serena said:
No. I mean that you can mirror all three vectors, and then rotate all three vectors, and the result will be another solution.
If you rotate all 3 vectors together, their lengths and their directions relative to each other remain the same.

Thanks a lot ILS! :)

Related to Find Vectors $\vec{v_1}$, $\vec{v_2}$, $\vec{v_3}$ Given Dot Products

1. How do I find the three vectors given their dot products?

To find the three vectors, you need to set up a system of equations using the given dot products. Then, solve for the unknown components of each vector by using algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination.

2. Can I find the vectors if I only have two dot products?

No, in order to find three vectors, you need at least three dot products. This is because each dot product provides one equation, and three equations are needed to solve for three unknown vectors.

3. What if the dot products given are not distinct?

If the dot products given are not distinct, meaning they have the same value, it is still possible to find the vectors. However, the solution may not be unique, and there may be multiple sets of vectors that satisfy the given dot products.

4. Are there any restrictions on the dot products for this problem?

Yes, the dot products must be positive or negative integers. This is because the components of the vectors must also be integers in order for the solution to be valid.

5. Can I use a calculator to find the vectors?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve the system of equations and find the vectors. However, it is important to double check your solution and make sure it satisfies all the given dot products.